New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Parallel-USB Adapter for HP LaserJet Printer? Anyone Have Experience/Suggestion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GTwinkie

When I first picked up my iMac G5, it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't have a Parallel Port for my HP LaserJet 6P.

I did some googling and found a Parallel-USB Adapter. Will this work?

If so, the question becomes, which one do I buy? I've seen some generic ones for $14.99 on Tiger Direct, a $69 one from Belkin, and a $39 from Keyspan that talks about their proprietary Printer Configuration software.

Do I really need software?! It should just be plug 'n play, right?

Does anyone have experience using any of these and have a suggestion or two on 'em?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
GTwinkie

No one?
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwinkie
When I first picked up my iMac G5, it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't have a Parallel Port for my HP LaserJet 6P.

I did some googling and found a Parallel-USB Adapter. Will this work?

If so, the question becomes, which one do I buy? I've seen some generic ones for $14.99 on Tiger Direct, a $69 one from Belkin, and a $39 from Keyspan that talks about their proprietary Printer Configuration software.

Do I really need software?! It should just be plug 'n play, right?

Does anyone have experience using any of these and have a suggestion or two on 'em?

Thanks!
I have the Belkin F5u002 one, and yes it does work. As long as there is a Mac driver for the printer it should work with no problem. I used it on an Ibm 4019 printer, but Mac doesn't have a driver for that printer, but the printer has an HP emulation mode, so wa la, it works...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A close friend of mine and his wife owned a HP LaserJet 6P. They sold it without asking me first about drivers for OSX. I checked and the HP LaserJet 6P is there. So like James said, with the Parallel-USB Adapter it should work fine. I know James HP worked with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using a PC CRT Monitor with the iMac G5? | Mouse and Keyboard »