New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Struggling with my iMac decision


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Staszek

 
Member Since: Dec 11, 2008
Posts: 68
Staszek is on a distinguished road

Staszek is offline
Ok so next week I am buying my new iMac. I waited for the new version to come out, I was very very patient (which normally I am not) then Apple threw me for a loop and the decision is becoming complicated.

Ok so here was what my thinking was, I was going to get the base 24" model. Figuring when the new one came out it would be better specs then the old one.

Well it does for cheaper, so they now have the base 24" for $1499, but what I really hate about it is the 9400m graphics. While I wouldnt call myself a gamer, and while I do some video/sound/picture editing I probably dont NEED the discrete graphics card.....but I am not sure I can bring myself to buy integrated graphics.

So I with my company discount I can get the 2.93ghz with 24" for $1691. I was pretty set on getting that just even as a little bit of future proofing.

Then...... there is a refurbed 3.06 ghz on Apple for $1599!!

So I am back and forth now between the old version 3.06 and the new 2.93.

And in the back of my head I am thinking, I could just save a ton of money and buy the base 24" but I think that is really not what I want.

So the Pro's for the 3.06 so far the only ones I see is the graphics card and a slightly (very slight) cheaper price. The bench marks show that its barely and I mean barely any faster then the 2.93.

So the Pros for the 2.93 newest version, bigger harddrive, better ram. The only weakness I see is the graphics are not as good as the 3.06 (but that doesnt matter to much) and its slightly more expensive, oh and no remote (but I already have 2 of those).

So HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
mvinyard26

 
Member Since: Feb 10, 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17
mvinyard26 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" imac dual core 2.4ghz;13" Macbook Pro 2.26ghz Core 2 Duo Unibody

mvinyard26 is offline
Hey Staszek!

My kneejerk reaction on this one is go with the refurbished one, but first, answer these questions

1) do you really think you'll some day say "gee I filled up my 500gb Hard drive - wish I had the extra 140gb!
2)if the answer to #1 is no, then what would a 4gb ram upgrade kit cost? <$90??
3)if the answer to 1 and 2 are no, then go with the refurb. even :slightly: better graphics and :slightly: faster processor (non upgradable) are worth it with imacs considering your stuck with'em.

and to put things in perspective - I have 2 20" 2.4GHZ imacs (previous generation aluminum) with the radeon HD2600 graphics (one at work and one at home) and i've done some molecular modeling at work and was very surprised at how smoothly it ran (even with a puny 1gb ram!) so I think you'll be pretty happy with either!
QUOTE Thanks
Staszek

 
Member Since: Dec 11, 2008
Posts: 68
Staszek is on a distinguished road

Staszek is offline
I am not sure the answer to the first one but I know I wont probably fill the 500 gig up but I will come close. I dont know if its old school or what but I hate having drives filled near capacity even if I am not putting much more on them.

One of the things holding me back from the refurb is ddr3 vs ddr2 and snow leopard.

I have a feeling that while it may not make a difference now Snow Leopard may take advantage of the new memory.

Oh and I hear what you are saying, I am running a dual core now with only 1 gig.

I dont NEED anything, I probably can get by with a mini, but you know how the ego goes too lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« I want my Macbook Pro secure on wireless router | Switched to an iMac G4 »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Freezing iMac problem solved! Maybe... Cherokee Apple Desktops 5 12-17-2009 07:56 PM
iMac can't browse MacBook Pro on the network LarryMcJ OS X - Operating System 2 06-28-2009 01:10 AM
Buying an iMac... Is Timing Everything? drgrafix Switcher Hangout 11 10-15-2007 09:20 AM
Cancelled my iMac and iPod Touch for Zune and Dell Stetwin Switcher Hangout 46 10-05-2007 12:25 AM
Riddle: Printing from iMAC through Printserver... maddod-99 Schweb's Lounge 0 04-30-2006 10:14 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?