New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - Essentials

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fvsurfer

fvsurfer is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive

Hopefully, this time I will get a response. I just bought the new white Macbook 2.0ghz and was wondering to start off with, what are some free virus protections I should download from download.com or buy? Is there any software I should download to start off with on my new Macbook since I just converted from a PC? If someone could help me out, this will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
theafiguy

theafiguy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 4th Generation 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2048 MB RAM OS X 10.5.7

The Mac OS X, from what I've been told and read, doesn't really need any anti-virus. Most viruses are meant for Windows files, not OS X. I don't have one on my computer and I've been fine for the past 8 months.

If you download, go with utorrent, great torrent client.
I use Skype for some good fun with some friends.
Adium is a creat IM client, better than iChat I would say.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You might want to check out these sticky threads:

Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

A switcher's guide to OS X Software

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...-browsers.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...o-you-use.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...ient-best.html

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Hopefully, someone will help me on this one...as I've written from before, I recently converted from a PC to a Macbook as of last week. Are there any virus protection softwares that any of you recommend that I should download ( e.g. from download.com ) Or any other software? If any of you could help, this will greatly be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

... The overwhelming majority of us will recommend you not put any anti-virus app on your Mac since there are, at this time, zero viruses in existence that can affect your Mac. You can read more in the following link:

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
... The overwhelming majority of us will recommend you not put any anti-virus app on your Mac since there are, at this time, zero viruses in existence that can affect your Mac. You can read more in the following link:

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ
Thank you so much for responding.
QUOTE Thanks
Sushant_mac

Sushant_mac is on a distinguished road

hey most viruses affect win not macs. But some viruses are there when you download some software from piratebay or some illegal sofwares. if you want antis then i would recommend you to use the free anti virus ClamXav. You may also use I antivirus. Or buy Intego Virus Barrier. These are my recommendations. Don't worry about getting virus on a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Thank you for the response. If you hadn't noticed, there was a thread titled " Virus Protection," please ignore that. I thought this thread didn't go through before.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

This was very helpful. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushant_mac View Post
hey most viruses affect win not macs. But some viruses are there when you download some software from piratebay or some illegal sofwares. if you want antis then i would recommend you to use the free anti virus ClamXav. You may also use I antivirus. Or buy Intego Virus Barrier. These are my recommendations. Don't worry about getting virus on a mac.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Cool apps that I use:

Quicksilver (better and easier than Spotlight), AppCleaner (to completely uninstall and delete unwanted apps), iShowU (screen recording), Journler (journal), Cha-Ching (money management), Audacity (free sound/music manipulation app), VMWare Fusion (if you use Boot Camp), CyberDuck (FTP client)... it depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you go to macupdate.com you'll find all kinds of apps (freeware, shareware, demo and premium) that you can try.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

I'd say that on top of the fancy applications that I have, maintenance applications are critical to the health of your Mac as well. The applications that I recommend are:

1. AppFresh [Third Party, Free.]
2. OnyX [Thirty Party, Free.]

These applications should keep your Mac at a tip-top condition.
QUOTE Thanks
tricolourdog

tricolourdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24"imac 640gb hard drive nvidea gt130 graphics card.

i have just bought an imac 24",and must admit i feel a bit vunrable with no anti virus, as i have been a pc user for 14-15 years, however i have read these forums for the last few weeks and i have decided to go with the flow and follow these learned people's advice and leave anti virus alone,or until it has been proved that some virus's are now coming over to the mac platform.
kind regards

Never think of the future - it comes soon enough.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricolourdog View Post
i have just bought an imac 24",and must admit i feel a bit vunrable with no anti virus, as i have been a pc user for 14-15 years, however i have read these forums for the last few weeks and i have decided to go with the flow and follow these learned people's advice and leave anti virus alone,or until it has been proved that some virus's are now coming over to the mac platform.
kind regards
Dont forget about a firewall though. That's still needed.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What are some cool things I can do with my new Macbook Pro? | Entourage help »