New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switched this weekend

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Konan

Konan is an unknown at this point

I bought a new 24" IMac last Thursday and have spent the last few days setting it up. I have an advantage over Windoze switchers in that I know Linux/Unix very well so I can do stuff underneath the GUI fairly well.

As it turns out, all of my stuff moved over from Linux and works (not always without lots of surfing for info). All my Perl programs work, as does Netbeans, and Perl/TK. MYSQL loaded and ran out of the box.

One thing I will miss is all the free programs available with Linux. There are over 25000 entries in the apt list for Debian Linux - all free - and some will move over and run on the Mac just fine. I know that there are lots of free apts for the Mac and have downloaded a couple (although I don't mind paying for something that I intend to use), but so far I haven't found a list or web site that gives catagories.

One thing I HAD to have was a good programming editor. With Linux at least four come with any distro and there are dozens that can be downloaded. I was very surprised to find that none came included with Leopard (except for textedit which is totally unsat for a programmer, being nothing more than Windows notepad in Mac form). I assumed that a few minutes of googling would come up with dozens for the Mac but not so. It took quite a while to finally find Smultron.

My first impression is that Mac users are just that - they want to USE the computer to do stuff. Many don't even care how it works. Most of my Linux/Unix cohorts are just the opposite. All they care about is HOW it works and may never use their system to do any actual work.

But... So far so good. Works great and looks even better.

Konan
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As a Linux user myself still (run Debian in a VM), I see where some of your concerns come from. For your apt-style package management needs, I direct you to either Fink (9897 packages) or MacPorts (5628 ports). I would suggest you look into these for your *nix package needs. While not quite the Debian apt repository, they might fit your needs. I myself don't use either so perhaps someone else would be better at telling you how well they work.

As for editors, many people swear by TextMate. It's a fantastic editor but I just can't justify the price as a student. For now, I'll stick with Eclipse and PyDev.

Have a blast with your new Mac. If you're anything like me, Terminal is probably in your dock .

EDIT: As for the list of apps, try MacUpdate or VersionTracker.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I also understand where you are coming from. After 5 and 1/2 years of Linux I got tired of the "flavor of the month" and decided I was tired of "playing" and just wanted the computer to work for me for a change. I spent the last year running Linspire. Welcome to Mac and this forum!
QUOTE Thanks
Konan

Konan is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
As a Linux user myself still (run Debian in a VM), I see where some of your concerns come from. For your apt-style package management needs, I direct you to either Fink (9897 packages) or MacPorts (5628 ports). I would suggest you look into these for your *nix package needs. While not quite the Debian apt repository, they might fit your needs. I myself don't use either so perhaps someone else would be better at telling you how well they work.

As for editors, many people swear by TextMate. It's a fantastic editor but I just can't justify the price as a student. For now, I'll stick with Eclipse and PyDev.

Have a blast with your new Mac. If you're anything like me, Terminal is probably in your dock .

EDIT: As for the list of apps, try MacUpdate or VersionTracker.
Great info. Will check out the links tonight.

Thanks
Konan
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
I spent the last year running Linspire.
Of all the distros, you chose Linspire!? Tisk tisk .

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

only at the end when I got tired of compiling and just wanted the system and computer to work for me and not the other way around.
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac will become famous soon enough

I find the free TextWrangler to be a very useful programming editor. Has NIX scripting hooks and CLI presence.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do you create a new paragraph on MS Word for Mac? | iMac G5 dead, how to get data? »