New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple's Attention To Graphics

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Verrminator

I am seeing that Apple seems to really put a lot into designing graphics. I like the graphics but my question is this. Does all this intense design bring down performance? If not why doesn't windows design like Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Well, Apple has the advantage of knowing the specs for the Hardware that the OS will be running on-- they don't have to design as much general support as MS does. If they are comming out with new enhancements or major upgrades for the OS they can test it on pretty much all the combinations of hardware that it could possibly be used on. With windows there are different motherboards, different chipsets on those motherboards, different graphics cards, etc, etc. Plus all of the old hardware and the new hardware that hasn't seen the light of day yet. Not to mention developers of both hardware and software that don't stick to standards (like MS itself :bomb: ), so that various things end up conflicting. That means more development time and more beta testing. Makes it quite a bit more difficult to throw in all the nice little features that Apple can throw in.
QUOTE Thanks
Verrminator

so mac's performance remains high even with all the intense graphics?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrminator
so mac's performance remains high even with all the intense graphics?
Not as high as it could be without them, but still high, I wouldn't worry about it.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

From what I've seen yes (though I'm fairly new to the current iterations of Apple hardware and software).

The Mini I just bought (with fairly low specs compared to the latest and greatest stuff) and the old iMac G3 I have seem able to handle graphics nicely even though the technology so far as processor speed and the GPUs in each are a bit dated when compared to what you'll need in the PC world.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrminator
I am seeing that Apple seems to really put a lot into designing graphics. I like the graphics but my question is this. Does all this intense design bring down performance? If not why doesn't windows design like Apple?
I don't really think OS X is significantly more "graphically intense" than, say, Windows XP. It has a different (and in my opinion, much more pleasing) look, but nothing bloated or extreme.

As an example of how efficient OS X actually is, simply look at the older machines that are running it. Many people, including myself, run the latest version of OS X on Macs that are upwards of 7 years old, without any problems. If one were to try running Windows XP on a 7 year old PC, the results would no doubt be far less positive.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Verrminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
I don't really think OS X is significantly more "graphically intense" than, say, Windows XP. It has a different (and in my opinion, much more pleasing) look, but nothing bloated or extreme.

As an example of how efficient OS X actually is, simply look at the older machines that are running it. Many people, including myself, run the latest version of OS X on Macs that are upwards of 7 years old, without any problems. If one were to try running Windows XP on a 7 year old PC, the results would no doubt be far less positive.

good point. i never thought of it that way.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why do mac video cards suck? | Some minor questions about OS X »