New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Additional Accounts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gtee

I received my 2 G5 iMacs last night [1 for my daughter] and I remember reading somewhere that it is recommended that you create a new User for yourself and leave the original User as the Admin account.
Then - in the future [if required] you can remove your account and start from the fresh Admin account.

If this makes sense - what do others think - or do you all just use that initial account as your own?

Thank you in anticipation.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I have my first (and only) account as my main working account, but instead of being admin I just use the "sudo" way and only become admin when I need to change something and then go back to normal user mode.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The basic theory is, if you're not usually logged in as an Admin user, you'll be less likely to do something stupid, since you have to enter your password before taking certain actions. Basically, it makes you stop and think. It's a solid bit of advice, but not essential.

("Something stupid" might be deleting vital software, changing important preferences, or installing some sort of evil program.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with iTunes reinstall! | Lost in Bangkok, formatting external Hard disk »