New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

DSL modem won't connect on new iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Judy

Judy is on a distinguished road

I got my new iMac yesterday, now can't connect to the internet. I can connect on the same setup with both my pc and my boyfriend's macbook, but when I try to set up the connection to the iMac, it says the ethernet is connected but no internet connection is present. The automatic settings are detecting the IP address but it won't go any further. I've never needed a password or anything for the connection before, it's always just been plug and play. Aargh! I've searched online for help, and what I've found says select "built in ethernet" but I don't even have that option to choose from.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Connect the macbook, then power off and on the router.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you tried Power Cycling your setup?

If you do try that and it doesn't work, I would suggest calling your ISP for further troubleshooting.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Judy

I've tried powering everything off and on. The setup's very simple...phone cable to dsl modem, ethernet cable from dsl modem to computer. Is it still possible that it's an ISP issue when I can unplug the ethernet cable and plug it right into my pc and it works perfectly?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy View Post
Is it still possible that it's an ISP issue when I can unplug the ethernet cable and plug it right into my pc and it works perfectly?
No, but that shows that you possibly haven't Power Cycled properly.

Does your modem have two ethernet cables coming out of it?

If not, you can't just swap the cable between the Windows PC and the iMac and expect it to work.
You will have to power cycle each time you switch the computers.

You will have to get a router to prevent that.

If you do have a modem/router combo, then when you are at step 5 and powering on your computers, leave the Windows PC and the notebook off.
Only turn on the iMac.
That should pull an IP for the iMac.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacTrooper

MacTrooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz

It took several power cycles with my Linksys router and cable modem to get it to work, even though the direct connection to the cable modem worked first time. Sometimes, it just requires patience.

 iMac 24"" 3.06GHz; 4GB RAM w/ Magic Mouse
 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz w/ Magic Mouse
 iPhone 4 32GB
 iPod Classic 160GB
QUOTE Thanks
Judy

I tried it again, followed the directions for power cycling (thanks, D3v1L80Y) but still no go. I get the message, "Status: Connected - Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect". Huh???
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Got my baby today!! | How can i store a file greater than 4gb on my imac »