New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

This is really baffling me...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stormrider

I acquired a PowerMac today (No idea what model, or specs, and the like), and when I power it up, it sits on a grey screen. Could this perhaps mean it doesn't have an OS installed?

I was also told it wouldn't run OS X, and the person I got it from had already tried to install it, so he may have uninstalled the previous OS in the process.

Excuse my n00bitude, I've never owned a Mac before and don't know how they operate in such circumstances.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Checkout everymac.com, it has a section that shows pictures and specs of all the powermacs, try to figure out what you have.
QUOTE Thanks
Stormrider

Ah, here we go... It's a 400 MHz G3, 64 MB SDRAM, with a 10 gig hard drive and a DVD-ROM drive.

As far as the grey screen goes, would this mean there's no OS installed on it? It'd be nice if I could get to some sort of BIOS setup, so I can at least install Linux on it for the time being, but I don't see how that can be done..
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Download the Yellow Dog iso. As far as Linux distros Yellow Dog is the one for the Apple architecture.
QUOTE Thanks
Stormrider

I'll probably put Debian PPC on it (one of my preferred distributions), but I still don't know if there's no OS on it, or if it's just got some problems booting up...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

just download a linux install CD to see if you can boot from it.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

You could install OS X with more memory. I have panther running on a iMac G3 400 and it works OK (128 megs and it was a bit of a dog, 256 somewhat better, 512 would be ideal). I think even the lowliest of g3 400s will take up to 256 MB +-- check out crucial if you can dig up which model it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Stormrider

I was mistaken, this thing's a G4.

Indeed, it will run OS X, and the machine will take up to about 1.5 gigs of RAM. Thanks a lot for that link!

Edit: Oh, and I'm downloading the Debian PPC netinstaller. I'll use this just to breathe some life into the system, and when I can get my hands on some more RAM and a copy of OS X, perhaps I'll take it off (I've got enough Linux boxes, time for a change of pace)
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
You could install OS X with more memory. I have panther running on a iMac G3 400 and it works OK (128 megs and it was a bit of a dog, 256 somewhat better, 512 would be ideal). I think even the lowliest of g3 400s will take up to 256 MB +-- check out crucial if you can dig up which model it is.
Even Beige G3's will accept up to 768 MB of RAM, and the Blue & White (which includes the 400 MHz variety) will accept up to 1 GB.

As you mentioned, OS X will run just fine on the older G3's. Mine is a 300 MHz G3 with 768 MB of RAM, and it has no problem running Panther at all.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
myjay610

1.5 GB of RAM? I dont know about that.

Also did you ever find out about an OS/X on it? Try using knoppix and boot from the cd, and check out what's on on the HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
Stormrider

According to everymac.com, it's expandable to 1.5 gigs.

And I believe the person I got it from uninstalled the previous OS to try to install OS X. If there is an OS on it, it's probably OS 9, which I don't even want.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjay610
1.5 GB of RAM? I dont know about that.
The PCI graphics version will support 1 GB, and the AGP graphics version will support up to 2 GB (running OS X).

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Buy some memory then-- I think the problem was just not enough RAM to install the OS. Then get a (legal of course) OS X install disk and see if you can get it going. As I said, my G3 400 was running it OK with only 128, but multi-tasking was rediculously slow.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Yeah. If it's a G4 at all you will have ZERO problem running OS X with the right amount of RAM. What you could do if you end up really enjoying the system and don't want to cough up too much cash on a faster one is buy an aftermarket G4. They get up to 1.5 GHz nowadays from what I hear.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
Stormrider

Okay, I booted it up, and it went to the grey screen, so I decided to wait and see what it does. It goes to the OS 9 start-up screen, and then the monitor goes black, and I hear a high-pitched buzzing from it, and it stays that way.

I'd like to get the thing to boot to the Debian CD. How do I change the boot sequence?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple or Mac? | Help with Safari!!!! »