Exclamation Mac Mini & Dull monitor output Q's
    Hi there!
    I'm a PC user but I am 99% sure I'll be buying a Mac Mini as my first Mac ever. However I've heard about problems with some monitors. Apparently the VGA output can cause some monitors to be dark or fuzzy.

I was wondering if there was a hardware list somewhere that shows compatible 3rd party hardware?
    In case someone here can help me, I am using an LG Flatron ez T910B.

While we're on the topic, I was wondering how much control you have over your monitor in OSX. I usually have my monitor set at 1152 X 864 @ 100Hz. Will my Mac Mini allow me to do this?

Apologies if my questions are, *ahem*, stupid, but I simply don't know these things!

if am using the mac mini w/ the DVI -> VGA converter to my Sony 21" and it looks good.

yes, you can set the res + refresh rate on the mac, just like you can do on the PC.

I hooked a VGA monitor up to my mini, it looked just fine. Why do you run at 100hz?

Ceres, Ca
    iPad 32 GB 3G
    I've run my Mini on a couple of old cheap 17" crts and it looks as good as the monitor ever looked with any computer. I'd not worry too much.

I run 100Hz because it's easier on the eyes. If I ran a lower res, I'd use 120Hz...

Thanks for the replies, I looked at a Mac Mini again in a store today and easily found the resolution settings. OSX *should* detect that my monitor can do up to 120Hz, right?

There seems to either be a design flaw (most likely) or questionable QA, regarding the mini's VGA output. According to one test it doesn't meet the VESA spec.

Have a look at this thread over at Apple - lots of people have had this problem.

If you intend to use VGA (either CRT or TFT) it seems pot luck whether your monitor will work properly or not.

Thanks for the link - it also led me to:

where I found my monitor listed!
    But still, we'll see. But I am definitely more confident now.

My monitor is listed too, does that mean it is compatible? It doesn't say either way.

Also bearing in mind Apple don't officially recognise a problem with the mini's VGA output, their idea of compatible and my idea might not match..

Thread Information