New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple or Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Verrminator

what is it now? Apple or Mac? which does the company and line of computers go by now?
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Kind of like make and model in cars. It's an Apple Macintosh kind of like it's a Ford Mustang. And it's pretty much been the same for over twenty years now.

There, feel better now?
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

the company goes by apple. the computer is the mac
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

most people call them mac, jsut because when they first came out it was the Macintosh. But now since the company name is Apple Computer Inc, people refer to them as macs, or apple computers. your choice.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Apple, as shaun89 and CaptainMack have said, is the only way to refer to the company (Apple Computer, Incorporated.) "Mac" is not a company.

Also, Apple IIs, Newtons, and iPods are Apples, but not Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Here's an example:

Apple = company. Hewlett-Packard = Company.
Macintosh = Product Line (Computers). Deskjet = Product line (printers)
iBook = Specific Product name. Deskjet 3320 = Specific product name.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Here's an example:

Apple = company. Hewlett-Packard = Company.
Macintosh = Product Line (Computers). Deskjet = Product line (printers)
iBook = Specific Product name. Deskjet 3320 = Specific product name.
So is an iBook under the Macintosh product line? I didn't think they used Macintosh anymore, I thought it was just Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Mac is the abbreviation for macintosh, but they do tend to just say "mac" now.

The iBook is a computer that runs the Mac operating system, so yes - it is under the Macintosh product line.

But all apple computers currently are, so the differentiation is basically unnecessary.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Actually, they only have one line, which is called Mac. Even Steve Jobs doesn't call the Macintosh anymore, and it's written nowhere.

The products starting with i are consumer products (iMac, iBook).
The eMac was initially available for the educational market only, that's why it has an e. And to make the difference to the iMac, they simply kept that e.
The products starting with Power (PowerMac, PowerBook) are considered for professionals, they are more powerfull and more extensible.
The servers are called Xserves, and they are based on the PowerMac.

But all of these are Macs, running the same architecture and the same OS.
Apple doesn't have any other computer line anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

It's quite funny how computers tend to be referred to by the OS rather than the company name until you are actually going to buy one. i.e You refer to computers at home as "the Linux box" or "the 98 PC" but if you are going to buy one you ask questions like "Dell, Compaq or Alienware?".

I can't think of any other product we treat in quite the same way.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

I don't always see it with Windows computers. I see them referred to by brand names a lot. With Linux systems, though, you have to take into account that a larger number of Linux systems are custom built, so they don't really HAVE a brand name. This is becoming more and more common as companies like Alienware inflate prices and companies like HP and Compaq use cheap components in their computers. But yeah, I see your point overall. Because like, we don't call a Chevy car by its engine or transmission, nor do we call a steak by the sauce we put on it.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

even if its not in the computer name, they all run the Mac OS. so just like you could call any Dell a windows machine, all Apple computers are Macs

QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Maybe this is just semantics, but isn't the operating system called OS 8/9/X, not 'the Mac OS'?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

When looking on Apple's support site, they call it Mac OS since version 7, and I guess they should know... :headphone

And as we are at semantics, Mac OS X is prononced Mac OS 10, the X not only represents the Unix based core, but also a roman 10.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

I look at the support site, and I read Mac OS X, and I'm not verbally pronouncing 'ten' but writing it as apple does, OS X.

Where on the support site do you see Mac OS without a numeric designation following?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tom's Hardware likes Mac Mini | This is really baffling me... »