Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dookie
    Mac Maintenance.
    Hi. I've read some pple on these forums use macjanitor program for maintenance of their mac. Has anyone used onyx? Can someone give me a comparison or review of these 2 programs and which one you'd prefer and why?

Mac Maintenance.
    I've used both and up until recently have been mainly using OnyX which is simple program to use with a nice GUI, its never let me down but with the last version 1.4.9 I get Apple script errors and it doesn't remember its preferences so I'm thinking of shopping around for another one. Maintain is pritty good or though the GUI is messy you can see exactly what it has been doing in the terminal window that it opens.

myjay610
    What kind of maintence?

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    The main maintenance done manually is repair permissions and crons. repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions crons are easily done in the terminal: type sudo sh/etc/daily and /weekly and /monthly at the obvious times

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    crons are easily done in the terminal: type sudo sh/ets/daily and /weekly and /monthly at the obvious times
    They're even more easily done using Titanium Software's Maintenance application. One click is all it takes.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Yup and I mistyped in the first post it's sudo sh /etc/daily and I log in as root to do it so I don't have t retype since one of the crons was the last executed command in terminal after exit (Also doesn't need the admin password)

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
    I use Cocktail which works quite nicely.

-Chris

Mac Maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrr
    I use Cocktail which works quite nicely.

-Chris
    Yes, it is a nice program. But then you do have to pay for it and their are alot of programs that do the same for free ! :bushman:

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    I use cocktail and have been warning mac users about onyx. if you dont know what something in onyx is or means, dont touch it.

Dookie
    Quote Originally Posted by myjay610
    What kind of maintence?
    I'm not really sure with a mac. On my pc I would scan the hardrive for errors, scandisk, and defragment the hardrive. Since I just switched to mac, I'm totally clueless as to what maintenance is needed. And I have no clue what all the permissions stuff is all about. Someone care to fill me in? And can someone tell me what type of maintenance does what like repair permissions and the likes? For example defragmentation on pc kinda sorts the files more neatly making acces of these files more quickly(the way I see it anyways).

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    defragging isnt required on mac, it helps if you do it maybe twice a year, you can also use an app that prebinds the system . mac os x is unix based, requiring permissions stating what apps can open what files and access what extensions, etc, and also has to do with the users ability to edit or open files or programs. it goes much deeper, but Im very busy at the moment and will expound on this later.

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Defragging happens automatically as needed on loggout, at least with file vault on :alien:

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    yea, Ive seen filevault cause so many problems, I usually just tell people to leave it off.

Jordan
    What kind of problems does filevault cause?

Mac Maintenance.
    Specs:
    mostly problems with preferences, permissions, apps and files related to them, internet problems. Ill post an article after I get home.

Thread Information