New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Powerbook G4 15" VS 17"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MichaelSullivan

Probable switcher, specs following:

PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 15.2" TFT Mfr Part #: M9676LL/A Price:
USD$1888.00

Apple PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 17" TFT Mfr Part #: M9462LL/A Price:
USD$2171.00

So, the price tags are the reason I'm overlooking the 1.67 models. Current 17" owners, do you feel that the 17" is just too big to really be a feasible 'laptop'?

I have a co-worker who just bought the 1.5ghz 15" PB, and he's already having a little 17" envy. That screen apparently just draws people in. Current 15" owners, how satisfied are you with the screen size/ resolution? Have you considered moving over to the 17"?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
Probable switcher, specs following:

PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 15.2" TFT Mfr Part #: M9676LL/A Price:
USD$1888.00

Apple PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 17" TFT Mfr Part #: M9462LL/A Price:
USD$2171.00

So, the price tags are the reason I'm overlooking the 1.67 models. Current 17" owners, do you feel that the 17" is just too big to really be a feasible 'laptop'?

I have a co-worker who just bought the 1.5ghz 15" PB, and he's already having a little 17" envy. That screen apparently just draws people in. Current 15" owners, how satisfied are you with the screen size/ resolution? Have you considered moving over to the 17"?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Okay I'll bite...

The 17" is one **** of an "EYE CANDY"!!! That's just about it for me as far as 17" goes. I own a 15" PB and I'm very happy with what I have. I don't know if I really want to "lug" around something that big and heavy, plus pay that extra few hundred bucks just to draw crowds around me!

If you got the $$$, require lots of viewable screen, or just want that bragging rights, go ahead and indulge yourself!
QUOTE Thanks
Eleven

Where did you get such prices?

That's less than what some people sell their used ones (well, try to...)
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

http://corp.insight.com My company has an agreement with insight that allows me to purchase at a discount there. What is interesting is that this company offers extended selection to companies with purchase agreements. For instance, if I'm not logged in, thus general public, I only see 8 or 9 PB/IB selections. But when I log in, I can choose from 20 PB/IB notebooks at a discounted rate.
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

Yeah student discounts are similar.
QUOTE Thanks
IChing

I like laying on my sofa with my 15 in my lap or in bed with my 15" it's a perfect size, also on planes the 15 is about the max I would think on coach, the 17 doesn't fit in a normal briefcases my 15 fits in two briefcases I owned before I even had a laptop, but I love the size of the screen of 17 but really, the 15 is just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica
Yeah student discounts are similar.
are you talking about the student discounts on the apple site? (those cost to take advantage of, don't they?) Or are you speaking about student discounts provided by your university?
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

Quote:
are you talking about the student discounts on the apple site? (those cost to take advantage of, don't they?) Or are you speaking about student discounts provided by your university?
ADC ones are the ones that cost money if I'm not mistaken.

I had 8% off for US Gov't discount, $1563(USD) for 12" powerbook w/ superdrive. I think the student ones are about the same if not better.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

By the measurements, the 17" PB wouldn't fit into any standard (meaning pre 17" laptop era) laptop case. I have a Swiss Army CS2 laptop sleeve that is really solid, and would fit the 15" nicely. I'll probably go with the 15", simply because of the similarity of features, convenient size, and price.
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

I think the 17" would be great for a desktop replacement. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 15"
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
I think the 17" would be great for a desktop replacement. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 15"
Wouldn't all the PB models work as a desktop replacement considering features, speed, memory, software, etc? Why do you feel like only the 17" qualifies as a desktop replacement? (I'm assuming the screen size/resolution)
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

Quote:
Wouldn't all the PB models work as a desktop replacement considering features, speed, memory, software, etc? Why do you feel like only the 17" qualifies as a desktop replacement? (I'm assuming the screen size/resolution)
You bring up a good point. Any could be a replacement, it just depends on what you really need in the end. I guess personally I would classify the 15" (with 128mb video) or 17" as more suiting desktop replacements since they would support more heavy video-oriented demands, and yes, the bigger screens :mac: .

On the other hand, my 12" does do everything I need very well so far
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Shortcuts!! | Mac Maintenance. »