New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Remote Desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

Is there a way to remote desktop from a Mac to a PC? or just from Mac to Mac?

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

I use VNC (www.realvnc.com) to great effect to do PC - Mac and Mac - PC
QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
Is there a way to remote desktop from a Mac to a PC? or just from Mac to Mac?
I'm still new to Macs and still learning, but this is what I understand:

You can use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) from your Mac to any Windows OS that is IF they are either running WinXP or any Windows Server OS. When you use RDC, you are connecting to Windows "terminal services". WinXP and Windows servers has built in Terminal Services already. So if you try to connect to Windows 2000 Professional, it won't work...

As far as Remote Desktop from Mac to Mac, I believe you need to purchase this from Apple? I've seen this software and its not cheap <grin>. And as for VNC, yes that should work also, but I haven't experience that for myself yet.

Cheers,

RR
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadi2unnei2
You can use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) from your Mac to any Windows OS that is IF they are either running WinXP or any Windows Server OS. When you use RDC, you are connecting to Windows "terminal services". WinXP and Windows servers has built in Terminal Services already. So if you try to connect to Windows 2000 Professional, it won't work.
Is this feature built into OS X, or is it something I'd have to purchase?

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

These two are the ones I use on my mac :

OSXvnc is a working, full-featured VNC server for Mac OS X
Chicken of the VNC is a VNC client for Mac OS X

Both can be got from this page http://www.realvnc.com/resources.html#osxviewer don't forget to install VNC on the PC as well
QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

Quote:
Is this feature built into OS X, or is it something I'd have to purchase?
When I installed OfficeMac, RDC was also installed. I don't think RDC is part of OS X, but don't quote me <grin>. If you don't see it, you can download RDC at Microsoft's site:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

Cheers,

RR
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and everything works great.

QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and everything works great.
Not a problem, glad that helped =)
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

That VNC stuff is pretty kewl, I have the client on my PC and the server on my mac mini. Only complaint is that when you start up the mini w/o a monitor plugged into it, you can only do 800x600 or 1024x768.
QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
That VNC stuff is pretty kewl, I have the client on my PC and the server on my mac mini. Only complaint is that when you start up the mini w/o a monitor plugged into it, you can only do 800x600 or 1024x768.

Cool! I don't really use much client/server remote connections so I have no use for any other apps other then RDC at the moment. Once I get enough parts to build a Linux server, I'll try VNC. Since we use mostly Windoze servers at work, RDC is just what I need.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Highly possible switcher? Many Questions? | Probable Switcher »