New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Virtual PC Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Verrminator

i'm new to mac and just ordered an ibook the other day. i'm trying to find out about Virtual PC but everything i find is unhelpful. anyone have experience with this? i think it would be useful for me to be able to run certain windows programs on my ibook when i'm on the road.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I recently tried it on my mac mini, programs don't run very quickly with it. What application do you need to run?
QUOTE Thanks
Verrminator

no program in particular. i would do my design work on my desktop because i feel the iBooks screen is to small for that. i really just want to be able to share files and interact with PC's.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

I just installed Virtual PC 7 and am in the process of installing WinXP Pro on it right now. So far Virtual PC crashed on me a few times during the install...hopefully I'll get it running correctly at some point tonight.

What type of questions do you have?

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrminator
i really just want to be able to share files and interact with PC's.
Mac OS X can do that just fine without Virtual PC
QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrminator
i'm new to mac and just ordered an ibook the other day. i'm trying to find out about Virtual PC but everything i find is unhelpful. anyone have experience with this? i think it would be useful for me to be able to run certain windows programs on my ibook when i'm on the road.
I've installed VPC7 several weeks ago and I wasn't too impressed (IMHO). I only needed it to install one program called Definity Site Administration (DSA) to administer our PBX. After playing with VPC for a few days, I uninstalled it...

Since I have access to high-speed internet where ever I go, I use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to connect to either my WinXP at work or at home and do what I need to do that's installed on those boxes...

I think you should run a trial version and see if it meets your needs. As far as file sharing with "PCs", you shouldn't have any issues, and as for "interacting with PCs", that depends on what/how you define "interact."

Cheers,

RR
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Just an update...my crashing problem was due to a dirty WinXP CD. Don't want you to think there is anything wrong w/ the actual software. I'll let you know how well it performs once I get everything installed.

?: It seems that Virtual PC limits me to using 512MB of RAM. Is that a hard limit, or does it just let me use half of what I have installed in my system?

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Well...I got Virtual PC installed, and the performance really isn't great at all. It isn't the type of environment that I would like to work with in on a regular basis. I would much prefer to remote connect to one of my PCs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WinInstall.jpg (101.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg WinXP.jpg (138.0 KB, 22 views)

QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
Well...I got Virtual PC installed, and the performance really isn't great at all. It isn't the type of environment that I would like to work with in on a regular basis. I would much prefer to remote connect to one of my PCs.
As I've stated before, I always have access to high-speed connection to work and home, so RDC is much better for me and I only need to use one application. Overall, VPC7 for me is a waste of HDD space, time and money. But to some, its very helpful to them =)
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

The problem with VPC is and always will be that processor emulation just doesn't yield very good performance. Ever. If you want to network and interact with your PCs, you can do it just fine without having VPC installed. Unless you have a program for Windows only that you desperately need, there is no real point to VPC.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
conob

I installed VPC7 including XP, purely to be able to synchronise with a Pocket PC. This part of it does work well - a lot better than PocketMac for example - but getting ActiveSync installed and happy does take a lot of stuffing about.

Good thing - the whole Virtual PC hardware and software is saved in one file, which makes it easy to backup the 'machine' at several different levels, eg
- XP installed
- Active Sync and Office installed
- full working system
If something goes wrong, you revert to a clean saved installation without having to 're-install'.

cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I'm using Virtual PC (with XP Pro) to run a few Windows programs left over from my pre-conversion days. Like everyone else says, it's slow but it gets the job done. It's in no way a substitute for running a PC-- it's really a band-aid.

It's usually easy for the Mac and Windows machines to share files between apps, but I would recommend finding native Mac apps to do what you want.

I have 768 MB on my iBook, and the maximum memory allocation it allows for VPC is 512 MB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No right click? No problem! | Transfer Applications From G3 to iBook »