New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Instant messaging on ibook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

hey,

The ibook comes with instant messaging software right??

I have a few questions about this that I hope someone can help me out with:

Can I only have IM conversations with other people who have macs??

Will I be able to chat to people who use yahoo! and msn messenger through my apple instant messaging??

Also..... is a .mac membership worth the $100 for the year??
I use gmail already. :mail:

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

Macs come with iChat. There are Mac versions of yahoo and msn messengers, though I don't think those can be used through iChat. I believe iChat only works through AIM.

I plan on getting .Mac for the simple fact that it's so integrated, and will make it quick & easy for me to build/maintain a website for baby pictures for my family to download
QUOTE Thanks
Tiranis

Adium X is your friend on this one... http://www.adiumx.com/
QUOTE Thanks
myjay610

You can also just get regular AIM.
QUOTE Thanks
xwonderboy85x

xwonderboy85x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM

Regular AIM for Mac is HIGHLY outdated. It looks ridiculously ugly and still has all of those stupid ads and annoying sound effects.
You definitely want AdiumX...
QUOTE Thanks
Jordan

What about finding a email server that works well with Mac Mail? I have my .mac account for myself and of course it works great. But, there really isn't much use for her to use a .mac account due to the cost. What email programme is the best to use in this case?

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
What about finding a email server that works well with Mac Mail? I have my .mac account for myself and of course it works great. But, there really isn't much use for her to use a .mac account due to the cost. What email programme is the best to use in this case?

Jordan
Many email services work well with Mail. I don't personally use Mail since I prefer just using the web-based interfaces, but Gmail is my client and it's definitely compatible with Mail if I ever wanted to use it.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Most mail accounts are compatible with Mail. As long as they have either POP3 support or imap support you should be good.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
Jordan

That's good to know. However, I had to get a plug in to link my hotmail account and I am still only able to read my hotmail-emails in Mac Mail - not able to send from my hotmail account when using Mail. My girlfriend is not so computer confident just yet so I want something that is easy and painless for her but that will work well with Mail. So, is Gmail the way to go? What is that short for "Gangsta Mail"?

Word.

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Gmail is short for Google Mail. And yes it should work since Gmail does POP3 but it then just ruins the whole point of having 1gb of storage space.

Doesn't your ISP give e-mail accounts?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

GMail is good, or try any of the other free mail services that support POP.

www.gmx.com is also very good and reliable.
QUOTE Thanks
kingcrowing2

my friend has a website... so i got a pop3 account from him and that works really well. also, about ichat... you can use an AIM account on it so you can talk to anyone with a .mac account or AIM through ichat, plus its just looks so good!
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

when I first got my Mac I thought iChat was the only AIM available for Mac. But my friend told me you can get AIM with a similar look to the Windows version (of course so much nicer) but I would download AIM 4.7 (I think it is)
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

AIM on Mac is horrible....it's horrible on Windows. Stick with iChat or try out Proteus which is what I use.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

the only thing i hate about ichat is the way the buddy list is setup..and with your question about if you can chat with people who only have macs..except for this forum you wouldnt really have many people to talk to if it was that way lol...i dont think mac would be that dumb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« im switching back! | keyboard shortcuts for: maximize / restore window? »