New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS X Registry

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

Some of my PCs friends are becoming more and more interested in Macs now that I got one, and keep bragging about it

The one thing I get the most requests for is what the OS X "registry" looks like. Where can I find this? Also, info on how to take a screenshot would be nice. (must easier to ask than look up )

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

There is no registry

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
Some of my PCs friends are becoming more and more interested in Macs now that I got one, and keep bragging about it

The one thing I get the most requests for is what the OS X "registry" looks like. Where can I find this? Also, info on how to take a screenshot would be nice. (must easier to ask than look up )
There isn't really a registry as such, just a load of XML files. The files usually have the extension .plist which just means "property list", if you double click on one it will open in the XML editor which sort of looks a little like the Windoze registry used to look. Once open you can fiddle with any applications properties (so long as you have the correct privileges of course) and even cooler you can also do this from inside an application. Some properties only effect an app on start up but others effect the system in realtime so as soon as you save the file the changes may take effect.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

I know there is no offical registry, that's why I asked about the "registry"....I believe the program I was looking for is the NetInfo Manager....looks like a registry substitute to me.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

that registry is a major flaw or hole in windows, luckily, we dont have one.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't know what the registry is, but unix uses a kernel. That kernel control all of the processes OS runs.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Thud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I don't know wha the registry is, but unix uses a kernel. That kernel control all of the processes the in run in the os.

All operating systems use a kernel.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sophos for mac | Setting Default Web Browser »