New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What would *NOT* be over kill?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Garrett

Hey All:

Right now I am a PC user, and they work fine, and I don't have a problem with them. I am about to head off for college in a few months, and a lappy needs to go with me. Now, I want something small, that is strong, and has a long battrey life, that brings me down to 2 possible options. A) Sony VAIO crazy expensive or B) iBook G3. I'm going to be lookin at the 12" option. Now, my question....

All I am going to use with this thing is IE, AIM, Word, and WinAMP. Would a 733MHz G3 with 256Mb of RAM do me just fine? I would definatley run X. I just don't wanna spend the money just to find out that it isn't enough power...you know. This will be my first Mac. How easy and expensive would it be to get my house set up wirelessly? Thanks for reading.

--Garrett
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

What kind of PC systems are you used to?
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

That system would have enough power for what you are looking to do. My only suggestion would be that if you are going to use OS X, you really should have at least 512MB of RAM. OS X is a real dog with only 256MB.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett
Hey All:

Right now I am a PC user, and they work fine, and I don't have a problem with them. I am about to head off for college in a few months, and a lappy needs to go with me. Now, I want something small, that is strong, and has a long battrey life, that brings me down to 2 possible options. A) Sony VAIO crazy expensive or B) iBook G3. I'm going to be lookin at the 12" option. Now, my question....

All I am going to use with this thing is IE, AIM, Word, and WinAMP. Would a 733MHz G3 with 256Mb of RAM do me just fine? I would definatley run X. I just don't wanna spend the money just to find out that it isn't enough power...you know. This will be my first Mac. How easy and expensive would it be to get my house set up wirelessly? Thanks for reading.

--Garrett
I'm not sure what iBook you're looking into, but there are no 733 G3's. A 700 or 800 G3 would run all the applications you mentioned without any problems, but I'd suggest going with a minimum of 512 MB of RAM. Setting up a wireless network for the iBook would be a matter of purchasing an AirPort card for it (~$90) and a wireless router (prices can vary, but roughly another $90 is an average price). Getting back to the iBook, perhaps if you provided the price range you can shop in, we can figure out the best Apple notebook for you.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
OS X is a real dog with only 256MB.
I concur

How much are you looking to spend on it? I think the new 12in iBooks for only $999 are a great deal, if you want till you are actually a college student you can get them for $949. I could never see myself buying a used laptop, they always sell for too much IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
Garrett

Hey Guys-

Thanks for the quick responces. I'm probably looking in the less than $800 range. This would just be for classes, my PC would be for gaming, etc.

PCs I'm used to, I've been running XP Pro since the first day it was released. (I waited in the WalMart parking lot) My current money hole is a home made system

Athy 64 3200
Asus K8VSE Deluxe Mobo
1 GB PC4000 DDR
2x 72 Gc 10k SATA Hdd's
120Gb Hdd for MP3's etc.
RAdeon 9800XT

Yeah...it's okay not as fast as a I wish it could be.

Now, I am looking at a iBook locally, Here are specs:

700Mhz
192Mb of (SDRAM, DDR which one does it have)
20 Gb HDD
12"
CDROM w/external CD burner

$400 ish

Now, my current question, can I swap the CDROM for a combo myself, or do I need to take it to a Apple store? Also, how much would it cost to max out the memory. 768 is Max if I remember correctly. Speed isn't a big concern for a few more weeks, but I def. would want to max it out asap.

Thanks guys!

--Garrett
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

Buy your memory aftermarket. Apple charges way too much. Also, if that is your PC setup I think the ibook you have in mind is too slow, even for what you're doing.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Check crucial.com for info on the memory, they will tell you the max, type, and number of slots.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm losing my mind!!! | Storage Devices »