New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How compatible is iwork with MS Office

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

phc

phc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: intel imac 24" 2.8GHz, 8GB ipod Nano, 16gb white iphone, 250gb apple tv, 8gb iphone.

I am working on a HP laptop at the moment and i have a 2.8 imac in my home office. i am thinking of getting a macbook 13" as everything else in my house is apple !!

I have Office for mac and its not very good ie it just keeps crashing and i used the trial of iwork and it seemed really cool but all of my clients are MS enabled

Please help
QUOTE Thanks
oakie

oakie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)

i cant function with iWork alone, especially since it doesnt support the latest file formats and the imbedded tools in those formats. iWork is great if you just want to make a snazzy looking book report, a few 3d pie charts, and a presentation that looks like steve jobs'. other than that, especially if you're working in a microsoft environment, i'd stick with office for 100% compatibility.

if you just cant live with office and iWork isnt powerful enough for your needs, you may want to give Open Office a shot if you havent already.

as for your crashing issues, have you tried reinstalling it?
QUOTE Thanks
phc

Mac Specs: intel imac 24" 2.8GHz, 8GB ipod Nano, 16gb white iphone, 250gb apple tv, 8gb iphone.

I haven't but i will re install, i do appreciate the comments as its easy to get carried away with the sales stuff but its reality that i need and your advice is sound many thanks

2.8 ghz imac,16gb white iphone,250gb apple tv,8gb iphone,8gb ipod mini !!!!
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Stick with Office. As oakie alluded to, iWork is more for the creative types; Office gets the job done. Office also supports all Microsoft file formats (which just happen to be the latest versions) and is fully compatible with its Windows counterpart.
QUOTE Thanks
oakie

oakie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)

on a side note, i just wish Pages could export to .html, and Keynote could export to .swf. they both would work together to be a really powerful, creative, and simple website development package.

it's sad that aside from GarageBand, Apple's suites just arent that great on their own at what they're designed to do. iWeb is nearly useless for creating a website more provocative than a Geocities page, Pages is limited beyond sharing amongst Macs, and Keynote is too flashy for its own good... but if they were to simply allow them to export as web standard files, they would make awesome tools that are truly easy to use.

they could probably supplant Dreamweaver and Quark for all but professional web developers.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I use Office for Mac and Office for Windows in a Parallels virtual machine and have iWork '08. One thing I learned is that iWork's Numbers app won't open password protected Excel files. This is a deal-breaker for me so iWork is relegated to my personal stuff.

MS Office for Windows running in a Parallels (or VMware) virtual machine with Windows XP works very well, so since I got that I can have my Mac and Office of any 'flavor' too.
QUOTE Thanks
phc

Thanks for the responses, looks like it will be office 08 version on the macbook then with iwork installed just in case !

Im not sure about windows on a mac (parallels) , i wanted a mac as a mac as its so easy for me to use etc etc etc.

thanks again

2.8 ghz imac,16gb white iphone,250gb apple tv,8gb iphone,8gb ipod mini !!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switched from OS X10.3.9 to OSX 10.4.9 | New to Mac World »