New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Using Macbook As Desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dloreski

dloreski is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.
I have an older HP Desktop and a few month old Dell XPS M1330.
I'm tired of the virus / spyware / rebooting of windows and have been considering a Mac.
The only thing I do that I still need Windows for is MS Frontpage and my BlackBerry Desktop (Which I hear a good Mac version is coming this year).
I could either put Windows on the Mac, or probably better yet, just keep my Dell for that and traveling.
Would I have any problems hooking up a regular Macbook to my Samsung 225BW (22") monitor and then just getting a keyboard and mouse and using it as a desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Nope, no problems at all.. just like any other laptop out there these days.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I ditched desktops years and years ago. I did use an external monitor and mouse, but more and more I find myself just using my MacBook Pro. If you already have the monitor and mouse by all means use it! You get the best of both worlds with this setup.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

yea, I've completely stopped using the monitors too.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
oakie

oakie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)

my desktop slowly transmogrified into a home media server over the span of a year. it took 11 years of laptop ownership until i came to a point where it became my primary machine.

but because of the power a desktop is able to wield, i'll never replace it with a laptop, an imac or mac mini for the same reason... i want the desktop to provide the power my laptop cant provide in those rare situations.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I've always used my laptops in desktop configurations at home. Performance-wise there's not much difference nowadays (the 2.4Ghz MacBook is quite comparable to the 2.4 Ghz iMac...)

I connect my MacBook to my monitor and a USB hub for all my peripherals. I also place it on a stand, to bring it up to a similar height as my monitor (it makes working with 2 screens more comfortable and I don't have to worry about ever spilling cups of tea over it )
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I do the same thing. Good point about elevating the MacBook. With all the "spills" posts we read about, that's good advice.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Count me in as one of those that uses a MacBook as a desktop machine. I hook mine into a 20" Samzung Monitor and it works wonderfully. Given the size of laptop hard drives these days, I can't imagine the need for a separate desktop machine for normal use. Maybe if you need the horse power at an affordable price it makes sense, but the portability is with the premium cost in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I've been using my Macbook as a desktop for about two years now. Dual monitor even with Samsung Syncmaster 225BW elevated above with the Macbook's internal in a vertical configuration.

Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse on desk tray, USB and firewire external disks, USB hub to hook in my printer, scanner, card reader, camera, iPod, Wacom; external speakers and microphone plugged into their respective ports.

Every morning when I go to work (yay!) I have a whole checklist ritual to "undock" it from all the gear: Eject external drives, unplug speakers (and microphone if hooked up) disconnect USB hub, disconnect USB drive, disconnect Firewire drive, disconnect external monitor (all windows leap down to internal screen), shrink Dock (because internal screen is smaller and I make the Dock big when running the external) turn off bluetooth mouse (because it will wake up the Macbook if I don't turn it off before I put the Mac to sleep), disconnect power cord, close lid. Takes about a minute to go through. Wrap power cord and throw power block and wireless mouse in bag, confirm 'breathing light' to make sure it's asleep, put in bag.

At work I go with just the built-in screen, power, and bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

When I get home it's same ritual in reverse. Used to be with Tiger all the windows would leap back to the external monitor when it was plugged in, but it seems with Leopard Apple made that feature go away. It recognizes everything immediately though.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
I've been using my Macbook as a desktop for about two years now. Dual monitor even with Samsung Syncmaster 225BW elevated above with the Macbook's internal in a vertical configuration.

Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse on desk tray, USB and firewire external disks, USB hub to hook in my printer, scanner, card reader, camera, iPod, Wacom; external speakers and microphone plugged into their respective ports.

Every morning when I go to work (yay!) I have a whole checklist ritual to "undock" it from all the gear: Eject external drives, unplug speakers (and microphone if hooked up) disconnect USB hub, disconnect USB drive, disconnect Firewire drive, disconnect external monitor (all windows leap down to internal screen), shrink Dock (because internal screen is smaller and I make the Dock big when running the external) turn off bluetooth mouse (because it will wake up the Macbook if I don't turn it off before I put the Mac to sleep), disconnect power cord, close lid. Takes about a minute to go through. Wrap power cord and throw power block and wireless mouse in bag, confirm 'breathing light' to make sure it's asleep, put in bag.

At work I go with just the built-in screen, power, and bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

When I get home it's same ritual in reverse. Used to be with Tiger all the windows would leap back to the external monitor when it was plugged in, but it seems with Leopard Apple made that feature go away. It recognizes everything immediately though.
This makes me laugh because my ritual was almost identical. I got sick of doing it and now I just shut the mouse off and go. I have another power adapter at work so there is no more crawling under the desk. The wireless receiver for the Logitech is so small I don't even remove it. I can shut the mouse off so it does not wake the MBP. I also make sure it is sleeping before I zip up. Don't need a car fire in rush hour!
QUOTE Thanks
Carjax

Carjax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Mid 2011 Macbook Air 1.8 Core i7

I also use my Macbook as a desktop. I do dual monitors with Samsung Syncmaster and also elevate the Macbook. I just did the switch to a Mac a couple weeks ago, I turned my desktop PC into a Home Media Center and use Remote Access for the Mac to run any Windows programs I might need. No need for Parallels or Boot Camp. Runs fast as **** on my Giga Network and even wireless using 11n.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptRage

CaptRage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

Currently I have a windows desktop with dual monitors and just got a macbook pro. I am thinking of ditching the desktop and using my mbp as my main computer, with an external monitor. I see there are some people doing this and it sounds like it is working out quite nicely for them. Does anyone happen to have pictures of their setup so I can see what it looks like? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jg24

jg24 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive

Here is a bunch of pictures

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/oth...tml#post802152
QUOTE Thanks
CaptRage

CaptRage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

Thanks, that helps a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
Dylanyouto

Dylanyouto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D

I bought my new setup based on using my Macbook as a Desktop and Laptop. Overall I am happy. The only reason I could see my self getting a desktop would be because A. Already have the Macbook and would want something like an iMac or Mac Pro and B. Just need more power. Like I said overall I am very happy to have everything I have.

Here is a pic of what my setup looks like.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hotmail font size | My First Macbook »