New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Saving images for desktop wallpaper

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeffreyk

jeffreyk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Quad Core 2.8GHz, 10GB Ram, nVidia 8800GT Video Card, 500GB HDD, and One 16x Super Drive

I'm new to Macs so I'm sorry about asking this very basic question (on Windows I never had this problem, but I'm finding it difficult to get this right on my new Mac). I want to create a folder for desktop images to re-use over time. I'm using Safari and not Firefox or any other non-Mac browser.

Anyway, every time I try to save a wallpaper image (.jpg format) to use for my wallpaper I never can get it to open correctly to use as my desktop wallpaper. When I right click on the image my Mac/system asks me if I want to use as Desktop Image (so that's working fine and I can use the image for the desktop at that moment), but when I save the image in my Downloads folder, and try to open the .jpg image at a later time, I get the preview view, but when I right click I don't get the option to use the image for my "Desktop Image."

So, what am I doing wrong and how do I get this to work.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

Greyspot Design is on a distinguished road

ok, keep doing what your doing by putting them all in a folder. id make it a separate folder in your systems picture folder.

only don't open them in preview, right click on your background and go to Change Desktop Background... click the + sign towards the left, find said folder, and go from there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Pictures I'm keeping for use as backgrounds are saved into the backgrounds folder found at MacIntosh HD/Library/Desktop Pictures.

They can also be organized into folders there. They will then show up in System Preferences/Desktop & Screensaver along with all the default backgrounds.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

Greyspot Design is on a distinguished road

or save it there.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikisunshine

Mikisunshine is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how I can combine the pictures saved in the folders in System Preferences Screen Saver, with those I've collected separately. I like some of them and prefer to have my wallpaper randomly cycle every couple of hours. But they all have to be in the same folder and I can't figure out how to get them into the same folder. <sigh>

----
Regards, Michele
Michele@mikicatdesigns.com
QUOTE Thanks
katentoy

katentoy is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread but this is as close an answer to my question as I can find. But I have another question......Do they just disappear when you change them if you did not save them? (Actually two!) What order should you do, Save Image As... and then Use Image As..... or vice versa?

Thanks,
Kate

.................but when I save the image in my Downloads folder, and try to open the .jpg image at a later time, I get the preview view, but when I right click I don't get the option to use the image for my "Desktop Image."
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Read the above post by greyspot design.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Easy instructions to run windows | Help: show jpg thumnails in Finder »