New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie with mail problems. Help please.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jordan

Hello,

Ok, so my Mac finally arrived and all is good except that I can't set up my mail to fetch my Hotmail and Shawmail emails.

When I wrote hotmail they sent me this:
Jordan, I understand your concern.
The address of the servers are listed below:
- Incoming mail (POP3): pop3.email.msn.com
- Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.email.msn.com
Please be informed that POP address is required to receive mails and SMTP address is required to send mails. Hence, you need to configure your mail program according to the settings you need to have in your e-mail program.

As for my shawmail account, it says to use "shawmail" for both, my incoming and outgoing mail server. That doesn't seem to get me anywhere either.

I filled in the above info along with the other requested info such as email account etc. but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

mail is mostly for imap and pop account types, though there is a plugin thatll allow you to check hotmail threough mail, its here:http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18189
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Is there a plugin to check yahoo mail thru Mail also?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

ignore previous post
QUOTE Thanks
Jordan

Thanks so very much. That plug in worked great.

I couldn't have possibly been the first Mac user to write Hotmail about such a problem. Why didn't they just tell me that they don't jive with Mac Mail? Anyhnow, things seem to be peachy now.

Thanks again,

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
patryk

patryk is on a distinguished road

anyone know of a plugin that qill work with osx 10.3.9?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Thanks so very much. That plug in worked great.

I couldn't have possibly been the first Mac user to write Hotmail about such a problem. Why didn't they just tell me that they don't jive with Mac Mail? Anyhnow, things seem to be peachy now.

Thanks again,

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/morein...9311&mode=info
if you click on the link I left originally a few posts up, and click the version under the name area once at the site, you can select other versions to download.
or click here: http://www.automagic-software.com/downloads.php
and select the panther version.
QUOTE Thanks
patryk

gotit. now, how to I chanbe the type mail from .mac in preferences? it doesn't appear to have a change function. i do not have a .mac account...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I have a Mail problem now, It won't remember my password, every couple times when it check, it asks me for my pw again, very annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
patryk

i have the same, but as i do not have a mail account i assumed it was irrelevant. i even changed it on iforget but no avail...
QUOTE Thanks
Big Mike

Big Mike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G

I had the same problem with Mail, that it wasn't working with my MSN account. Even after I got the plug-in from Version-tracker it wasn't working right. I could recieve my mail, but anything I tried to send wasn't going through.
I ended up switching to Entourage. It works great with MSN or Hotmail accounts because its made by Microsoft. It's designed to work with their e-mail services.

I really, really like Apple's Mail app, but if it's not going to work 100% flawless with my e-mail, then I just can't use it.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
I had the same problem with Mail, that it wasn't working with my MSN account. Even after I got the plug-in from Version-tracker it wasn't working right. I could recieve my mail, but anything I tried to send wasn't going through.
I had the same issue. My solution was to change the outgoing mail server to the same server as my ISP's mail service. It turned out that my ISP would not allow traffic on that port so I just use theirs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost my dashboard to access widgets | Having problems since upgrade. Ideas welcomed »