New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Another PC convert

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oboyyme

oboyyme is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook, Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Leopard), 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD; 8GB iPod Nano 4G

Been using PCs for 20+ years and I've finally had enough of them. So I took the plunge and went for it. I received the Aluminum Mac Book today and have been charging it for a few hours. I was told by a Mac tech (at a Mac store) that I then had to run it on battery for 5 hours to calibrate the battery. This needs to be done at least once a month to maintain the longevity of the battery.

I'm having such a silly problem that I feel ridiculous asking this, but...

I need to 'click' on the country I'm in in the Welcome screen but the touch pad doesn't work the same as on a PC. How do I 'click'?

Thanks!
Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
Jester2893

Jester2893 is on a distinguished road

I am pretty sure you just click(push down) anywhere on the track pad.
QUOTE Thanks
oboyyme

Mac Specs: Alu MacBook, Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Leopard), 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD; 8GB iPod Nano 4G

I've done that numerous times and nothing happens. I read on the web that you have to set it up to work that way, but first I need to get past this welcome screen and set up the Mac for the first time. Catch 22!
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

You should be able to just click the trackpad by default. Try clicking near the bottom of the trackpad. (make sure you hear a click) If that doesn't work you may have a faulty mouse. I have never personally used a unibody MB, so I can't know for sure how it should work, but maybe take it in to the apple store and have a genius help you sort it out.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

For temporary purposes, you could connect a USB mouse, which should be recognized even while at the welcome screen.
QUOTE Thanks
oboyyme

I feel like such an idiot. I was only tapping the touchpad, I didn't realize you had to press down on it at the bottom like a button. It works...wish I could say the same for the owner!
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Yea - it's basically a giant button. You can turn touch tap on in the system preferences menu though.
QUOTE Thanks
pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

LOL... Lisa,,

I just got my MB today and the simplest things just seem so...??? awkward I guess is the right word.

I too, find myself tapping the mouse pad. However, I am quickly liking the configuration of being able to push on the pad to click....

As *** backwards as this all seems I'm liking it already.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mount Points + External | Where to get a IE browser for new MB »