New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I get AppleCare?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

n0r1

Hey,

I'm about to purchase an iBook, and I'm wondering if I should get the AppleCare plan with it. What do people say -- is it worth it?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You don't have to purchase it up front. You at least one year to think about.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
n0r1

Oh, that's good to know!

But the apple site makes it look like, while I get a year of on-site repair included with the purchase, I only get 90 days of telephone support. I suppose the on-site repair is really the biggie here, though, eh?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

If you have a problem with your Mac you can just take it into the store and get the support covered on the 1st year free warranty. If you want to talk to someone from your house/car then you will need to purchase the Applecare warranty after 90 days to keep the phone support option open.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

For laptops, Apple doesn't usually do "onsite" anything. Apple will overnight you a shipping box, pay to overnight the laptop to Texas (or wherever they do it now) and the pay to overnight it back to you. Usually takes around three days all told.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

I didn't order Applecare with my new system. I'm tend to upgrade quite frequently, so I'm assuming that I would sell this system when the warrenty is up, and purchase a new one.

They do charge quite a bit for Applecare. Chance are, if you do have a problem, it will cost less than what the warrenty costs.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
They do charge quite a bit for Applecare. Chance are, if you do have a problem, it will cost less than what the warrenty costs.
Are you serious?? Have you checked the cost of a logic board or new screen for your iBook, PowerBook, iMac??

QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
For laptops, Apple doesn't usually do "onsite" anything. Apple will overnight you a shipping box, pay to overnight the laptop to Texas (or wherever they do it now) and the pay to overnight it back to you. Usually takes around three days all told.
Not true. The Apple store doesn't do "onsite" repairs but they will send it out for you. My hard drive in my PowerBook went kaput a couple weeks ago and I took into the Apple Store, dropped it off on Wednesday afterwork and picked it back up on Friday after work. They sent it out to where it needed to go, fixed it and sent it back to the store so I could pick it up. They did give me the option of having it sent to my home address but I chose to pick it up because someone had to be home to sign for it.

QUOTE Thanks
n0r1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
Are you serious?? Have you checked the cost of a logic board or new screen for your iBook, PowerBook, iMac??
Yeah, it seems not so bad. Granted, it is $249 for the extra two years, but if something should go in that time that's not just cosmetic, it would be so worth it. I think. But that's why I'm asking -- maybe my question whould be better phrased as "has anyone used the AppleCare help, and been really glad they had it? And, how many have purchased AppleCare and never had to use it?"

I guess it's just a matter of how paranoid you are, in the end ...
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
These are items that 'should' not fail very often. Apple does make money off the Protection plan, so they must be charging more than what the cost of all repairs are. If your playing the odds, your better off not getting it...of course, there will be a few people who lose to the odds.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

I would just say if you have the money to burn on AppleCare, get it. If you're on a tight budget, it might be better to just risk it.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyvn
If you're on a tight budget, it might be better to just risk it.
It's funny how everyone will argue until they are blue in the face about the superiority of Apple hardware...but if you don't pay $300 for the extra warranty, your "risking it." LOL

QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

I don't think it has anything to do with Apple Hardware being in question. How many P3 PC's do you see available for sale that would be more than just a web browser/email reader functionality? It comes down to either you can pay the ~$300 now and if something does go wrong then you can get it fixed without paying anymore money even if the repair costs quite a bit more, however, you can opt not to buy Applecare (the warranty) and if your screen goes haywire and needs replacing, have fun ponying up ~$700 or more to replace it and that is out of your pocket.

QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

I think it should come down to if you could afford to replace your machine if it broke. Don't gamble with something you can't afford to lose.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
It's funny how everyone will argue until they are blue in the face about the superiority of Apple hardware...but if you don't pay $300 for the extra warranty, your "risking it." LOL
Eh. Don't take what I said out of context. It's a risk no matter what hardware you're using. If you drop a laptop, it will probably break. No computer is invincible. If you spill water on the keyboard, it might get through to the logic board as well and screw that up. I wasn't talking about the hardware failing for no reason. PCs don't generally do that either. If my computer's hardware gave out for no apparent reason, never mind replacing it, I'd stop using that particular component.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another n00b question | Sophos for mac »