New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Does the apple USB keyboard support 2.0 devices?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnWasHere

I just bought a Mac Mini and apple keyboard and I have been using my mac mini for awhile now. I just bought a ipod shuffle and I plug my ipod into the keyboard. Does the keyboard hub support 2.0 devices? I was just wondering if it was going at the 2.0 speed?
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

AFAIK the keyboard hub is USB 1.1

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
gdestiny

i can't even plug my ipod mini into the apple keyboard. i guess it doesn't support some self-powered USB devices.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Why not just plug it into the Firewire port on the iPod mini?

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnWasHere

hmm, OK. It says in the manual it wont work with 1.1 usb hubs i thought, but Im not tottaly sure. It works on the usb keyboard, but Il plug it directly in to the mac mini, its just easier pluggin it into the keyboard. I wish the Ipod shuffle plugged into a firewire port, but its not a huge deal. I love my mac mini and ipod shuffle! There two great, low priced products
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdestiny
i can't even plug my ipod mini into the apple keyboard. i guess it doesn't support some self-powered USB devices.
Anything that requires power over USB won't work with the Apple Keyboard. The ports don't supply enough power to, er, power the devices.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
Anything that requires power over USB won't work with the Apple Keyboard. The ports don't supply enough power to, er, power the devices.

Can you say power one more time for me?

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
gdestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
yeah, that sucks though. if i was a new mac user, the first place i'd plug my ipod in is the keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help please! | About to switch, a few questions (AIM and such) »