Thread: too cold?

Specs:
    13 inch 2012 Air
    too cold?
    I keep my macbook on a shelf next to the wall. this wall is not insulated and gets cold. I went to pick up my mackbook and its was really cold. its like radiating off the walls onto my macbook. will that hurt my macbook in any way?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by safarisurfer View Post
    I keep my macbook on a shelf next to the wall. this wall is not insulated and gets cold. I went to pick up my mackbook and its was really cold. its like radiating off the walls onto my macbook. will that hurt my macbook in any way?
    It may hurt over a period of time. Here's why: The machine is cold, real cold. You turn it on and it warms up quickly - that can cause condensation to form on the inside of the machine and even around the rear of the LCD. Moisture and electronic components don't mix well.

Try to keep your MacBook at room temperature for at least an hour before you turn it on and start using it. Or, better yet, don't store it in a cold place or next to a very cold area.

Regards.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Unless the wall is cooling his computer to near zero temperatures, I don't think condensation is going to be a problem.

Do you use your Macbook while it's sitting next to the cold wall? If so, then there's a positive and negative aspect to it. The positive is that computer equipment works best when it's cold. However, the LCD screen works best at room temperature as cool temperatures can cause delays in the refresh rate. This could potentially lead to damage over time. However, this is all a moot point if the temperature drop isn't that significant.

Exactly how cold does the laptop get? Is it like a ten to twenty degree drop from room temperature, or is it as cold as ice?

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    13 inch 2012 Air
    um i dont think its as cold as ice. but it was like defiantly pretty cold. like left in your trunk overnight cold. you guys are scaring me maybe i wont put it there anymore.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Well even "left in your trunk overnight" is subjective. How cold does it get at night where you are? If it only goes as low as 50 degrees, then it's no big deal. However, if it gets lower than 32 degrees on a regular basis, then it might be cause for concern.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    The highest and lowest recommended operating and storage temperatures of your Mac are listed in the manual and on the Apple website.

Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    well, just to be safe, you shouldn't store it there anymore. That way, there is no problem or chance of damage

l
    Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

Thread Information