New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need help downgrading from 10.5 to 10.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bhoup

bhoup is on a distinguished road

Hello. I'm fairly new to mac and I need to downgrade from 10.5 to 10.4. I put in the black disc labeled "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 Install DVD" but it tells me "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine." Anyone know other ways to try?

Thanks!
Brent
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

What kind of Mac are you trying to install this on? If it came with Leopard originally, you cannot downgrade, as Macs will only run on the system they shipped with or higher.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Why are you trying to downgrade?

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bhoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
What kind of Mac are you trying to install this on? If it came with Leopard originally, you cannot downgrade, as Macs will only run on the system they shipped with or higher.
I'm trying to install it on a macbook. As for the original OS, I actually thought it came with 10.4 originally from Apple but is there a way to look it up by serial number, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

The problem may be, that you are trying to do and upgrade. You need to erase & install for being able to downgrade the OS.

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The version of OS X and install disk\recovery disk is specific to your machine. It's possible to downgrade from Leopard to Tiger if you purchase a retail version of Tiger, boot with it, erase the current operating system along with all its applications and data, and then install Tiger.

But, why would you want to do that? If the machine is running Leopard, leave it alone. OS X is not like Windows where it might be desirable for example to downgrade from Vista to XP.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bhoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santino View Post
The problem may be, that you are trying to do and upgrade. You need to erase & install for being able to downgrade the OS.
Just to clarify, this is a black disc labeled "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 Install DVD."

Now, how do I erase and install?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

All the black Full Install DVD's of Tiger I have seen are for the Power PC Macs. Your Macbook is in Intel. I have never seen a Full Install of Tiger, only the Machine Specific DVD's.

Why do you want to downgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Why are you trying to downgrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
But, why would you want to do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Why do you want to downgrade?

5char

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!