New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Making phone calls through my Macbook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Samiebaby

Samiebaby is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone! I'm not COMPLETELY new, but still a little rough around the edges. My cell phone has been successfully connected to my laptop in the past, but tonight it's not going so smoothly. It's pairing up just fine, but then saying it's not connected. Also, it has never worked with iSync. I have a Palm centro.. I would think that would work.

However, my REAL question is: is it possible to make an outgoing call to a landline/cell with my macbook pro(for free)? I know skype makes internet-internet for free, but i'm looking for call to a phone. I'm not looking for any illegal program or anything, just wondering if there is a way to use your computer as a sort of "bluetooth headset" for your phone. My GPS can do it, I don't see why my computer can't. I've even successfully used my cell phone as a modem with my macbook, but I can't seem to use the computer as a speakerphone or to dial! Grr.

Just as an aside, if someone can help me get iSync working, that would be great too. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Andy348 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

:S

I used Skype to call my dads cell and it didn't cost me anything..
QUOTE Thanks
andypham

andypham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy348 View Post
:S

I used Skype to call my dads cell and it didn't cost me anything..
How did you do that? I used to make call with Skype at a little cost.
QUOTE Thanks
Samiebaby

Yeah, my skype costs me a few cents per minute. Anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks
brian0

brian0 is an unknown at this point

a few cents per minute for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Samiebaby

Even if there is no third party software, I'm curious how to make my bluetooth work in this way.
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

TheInvsbleMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB

Not sure about calling from your computer, but as for iSync, I don't know the problem you are having but try The Missing Sync for Palm OS It is far superior to i Sync. I used to use it when I had a Treo 755P and I currently use it for my Windows Mobile phone, it works great, and doesn't cost much.
QUOTE Thanks
mcchainus

mcchainus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiebaby View Post
Hi everyone! I'm not COMPLETELY new, but still a little rough around the edges. My cell phone has been successfully connected to my laptop in the past, but tonight it's not going so smoothly. It's pairing up just fine, but then saying it's not connected. Also, it has never worked with iSync. I have a Palm centro.. I would think that would work.

However, my REAL question is: is it possible to make an outgoing call to a landline/cell with my macbook pro(for free)? I know skype makes internet-internet for free, but i'm looking for call to a phone. I'm not looking for any illegal program or anything, just wondering if there is a way to use your computer as a sort of "bluetooth headset" for your phone. My GPS can do it, I don't see why my computer can't. I've even successfully used my cell phone as a modem with my macbook, but I can't seem to use the computer as a speakerphone or to dial! Grr.

Just as an aside, if someone can help me get iSync working, that would be great too. Thanks
As a matter of fact I wast just looking for an app to do that and I found two, one is Bluephone Elite 2 works great, except no texting, you pair both the iPhone (in my case) and the Mac book, follow the instructions is simple, and is ready, activates and icon in the lower portion "right click" and pick from the menu, call, send message, (text is not supported) , one thing though, the trial period is 2 days only, and for some reason is not for sale anymore, I ignore the reasons, but I tried and I can tell you, it really works; the other app, which I didn't try is Phone Amego I suppose works in a similar way, I couldn't find the trial version, and it costs $29.99, I'm still debating on buying it, but I think the functionality is there. I do recommend to read all the pertinent information from the sellers, specially the disclaimers where they talk about the computer and the phone could lose connection (pair). Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Putting aside the Palm thing for a minute, there are several ways to make inexpensive or free phone calls to real telephones using the Mac.

1. Skype (I know it was already mentioned, but) will sell you a plan for unlimited outgoing calls to any phone number in North America for $30/year. Sign up for that and they'll offer you the option of buying a US incoming number for another $30. Not bad for $5 a month if you're near your computer most of the working day.

(the OP who said he called his dad's cell on Skype without charge probably doesn't know his dad has signed up for this exact deal, most likely)

2. Facetime. Instant video calling between Macs and iOS devices with cameras. Free but requires Wi-Fi on both ends.

3. iChat. Not much different than Facetime but requires a login and both parties to be on AIM or iChat itself. Messaging, audio or video conferencing, file transfer, screen sharing and not pretty much compatible with all the major services for at least audio except one (MSN).

4. iMessage. Again, only between Macs and iOS devices running the latest. Free texting, not calling, but hey.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I-Mac problem | Macbook electric shock! »