New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Browser bumping: What you use and why.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

i86i11

I like safari because it's just a web browser...... I'm so tired of all these applications trying to do it all...

I've only used Safari and Firefox though.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

I use safari for 99.9% of my web browing and I use Camino for IE oriented sites that Safari disagrees with.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
gtee

I am a recent switcher so this thread is really interesting to me. As already mentioned - the browsers available to mac users is an important aspect to consider when 'switching'.

As an ex Windows user - I used Firefox - although I 'contracted' the dreaded ...'can't find server' bug. I originally used Safari when my new imac arrived [which I liked] but tried Firefox out of an old curiousity. I don't like it - I know it has extensions and themes - but I felt like I was still using Windows - horrible.

I then tried Omniweb - which I liked but a bit too 'candy' for me. Now I mostly ue Camino. fast, stable and not 'Windows-like'.

I probably would prefer to stick to Safari but it is a little slow compared to Camino.
QUOTE Thanks
m-sambo

On windows I use Firefox. Don't own a mac *yet* but will probably use Camino/Safari when I do.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

I've not yet found any reason not to use Safari all the time. The only site I've had problems with is yousendit.com, for sending large email attachments, but this doesn't work in IE on the Mac either.
QUOTE Thanks
solidstalin

solidstalin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5

Firefox, i dont really like Safari, i was thinking about getting Opera once...
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I've been using Shiira at late. It's a nice program, try it out.

http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/index-e.html
QUOTE Thanks
Beatles4Life

Beatles4Life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Norwood is a 15 inch MacBook Pro from September 2010 with 10.9.4

I use Firefox mainly because it's the only browser that works really well on my college's ethernet conncetion.

Also, Firefox is sooo pretty and I like the search bar that uses multiple search engines.

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I have to come out of the closet now as a Camino convert. Safari's memory leaks were beginning to irritate me, so I switched to Camino's optimized builds (http://www.fiberoptikz.tk/~slowmo/Camino.html)

Camino is slightly speedier than Safari (but not quite to the level of Firefox) and it has better cookie handling than Safari as well. I like it.
QUOTE Thanks
loudy149

FIRE FOX i never touch sarfie or ie have you deen to the fire fox extions page lately just look at all the new cool stuff with you browser.
QUOTE Thanks
lazvlizard

lazvlizard is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac Intel 2 GB OS 10.5.8, Powerbook sys 10,4.11, iPod Touch 2nd gen, OS4

Recently got a G5 iMac and now Safari can get to almost all sites. (I use to use Explorer as a last resort, but no more) I surf a lot and like art. The browser type I use depends on what I want to do with the file(have a dial up) so I tend to save stuff. Here is what I have found:
Browser STORAGE characteristics:

FireFox using cut/paste results in a plain txt document. Saves all data infolders.
iCab using cut/paste results in a rich text RTF document. Saves with a good Archive
Safari using cut/paste results in a rich text RTFD document. Saves text only.
1. Does anyone else use iCab?
2. Now that I found that I can cut/paste to TextEdit Safari is much more useful.
QUOTE Thanks
shew

use safari because of its integration - i like the way that when I'm away I can access my safari bookmarks (ok, this is more to do with .mac, but as it doesnt work with any other browser...)

its even little things such as when i'm chatting to friends via MSN (using AdiumX) I can just click on a little button and send them a link to the page i'm currently viewing in Safari.

On the odd occasion that safari doesnt work i either tell safari to lie and pretend to be IE (using the Debug menu) or use Camino.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

For 95% of users, Safari is the best option. This is because it is OS intergrated. You will notice that it is faster than all the other browsers out there.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee12
For 95% of users, Safari is the best option. This is because it is OS intergrated. You will notice that it is faster than all the other browsers out there.
For those of us that routinely use multiple operating systems, something portable is usually easier. I don't find Safari to be faster but I build my own firefox with code and compiler optimizations.

You also get the ability to use extensions with
Firefox and the best part is that you can build it
yourself and make changes to the browser yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

I use Safari, FireFox and Camino, but have problems with ALL

Safari - Only Browswer that allows me to play Pacific Poker (I am addicted, it works kinda on FireFox, but noto n Camino). But recently I have been having crashes with it.

FireFox - worked fine for everything except it was SO bloody slow

Camino - Love it, but it crashes on me ALL the time... going to try and find another build (using 1.0a1).

Anyone else experiencing crashes/freezes with Camino and Tiger?

I have a 1.5 GHZ, 1.5 GIG RAM G4 Powerbook.

/edit another thing I miss while going from Safari to Camino is pressing "apple 1,2,3" for bookmarks 1,2 or 3... anyway to get this on camino?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« May be a totally stupid question.... | Thinking about switching - powerbook questions »