Can I add space into the startup volume partition?
    Hey everyone,

very new here, in fact, my very first post..

Question.
    Because of a complicated procedure i went to trying to get windows installed on bootcamp, I ended up with mac OSX 10.5.2 in a 99GB partition and the rest 366GB or so marked as free space.

I really dont want to reinstall my Mac OSX because it takes time to reinstall all the programs and I'm just lazy, but I want to incorporate the "free space" into the mac partition if possible.

Is there a way to add the free space into the startup volume so i dont have 366GB of free space lying around? (w/o uninstalling the OSX already installed in the startup volume..)

thanks, cheers
    "We have to go back, Kate!"
    - Jack Shephard
    LOST SEASON 5 PREMIERE JAN 21 2009

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Open up Bootcamp and use the restore to a single partition option.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

hm, maybe im missing something, but I opened bootcamp assistant, and there is no option for restoring to one partition...

I just clicked "next" and now im looking @ creating a partition for windows, and its dividing up the 99 GB into two partitions... im afraid to go on, so I'll wait for clarification..

Where is the option to restore to a single partition?

thanks in advance
    - Jack Shephard

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by irjoe View Post
    hm, maybe im missing something, but I opened bootcamp assistant, and there is no option for restoring to one partition...

I just clicked "next" and now im looking @ creating a partition for windows, and its dividing up the 99 GB into two partitions... im afraid to go on, so I'll wait for clarification.. Where is the option to restore to a single partition?
    Open the Boot Camp assistant and select "Create Partition". When that dialog appears, select "Restore". Even though it does not specifically say restore to a single partition, it will do just that. After the reboot, OS X will be restored to the entire hard drive.

Regards.

sorry.. i think i worded my question wrong.

the 366GB or so of "Free space" is literally that, free space.. the HD is not partitioned into two separate drives, but one drive that takes about 99GB and the rest just empty nothingness that has been assigned nothing.

But i followed chscag's advice and clicked "Create partition". Bootcamp went forth and made 5GB worth of partition out of the 99GB for windows, but thats not what I wanted, so I went back to bootcamp and restored partition to one.. (which was what you were probably referring to.)

The problem still remains, there only 1 partition, which is 99GB but i want to add the 366GB of unassigned "free space" into the start up volume.

I tried going into disk manager, and the partition looks like I cant drag and expand the partition any bigger (only smaller than the 99GB)

thanks again,
    cheers
    - Jack Shephard

hey sorry to double post, but im still at a loss on this, anyone got a clue?
    help a (newb)rotha out
    - Jack Shephard

Specs:
    The only other choice you have is to completely erase the hard drive and re-install OS X along with applications. Unless... you don't mind spending money on a third party application which can seamlessly do what you're asking:

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iPartition

If you know anything at all about using Linux, you might be able to use the free GParted tool to do the same thing:

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

Warning though.... Using the GParted Live CD is not for someone unfamiliar with partitioning and merging partitions.

Always backup before doing anything!

Regards.

quick question before i jump into this then, how do i completely erase the hard drive and make it into one single partition?

It sounds pretty easy as ive reformatted PC's as long as I can remember, but this will be the first time on a mac (done correctly) and I dont want to fail in something so simple

Do i need to use the disk utility?

thanks again!
    - Jack Shephard

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    As I understand it, the Leopard version of Disk Utility can resize partitions on-the-fly, although I haven't tried it.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

i tried doing that, and its true for most cases, but not when part of the Hard Disk is not assigned to anything...

For example, i could partition and resize the current startup volume, but not the rest..
    - Jack Shephard

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by irjoe View Post
    quick question before i jump into this then, how do i completely erase the hard drive and make it into one single partition?

It sounds pretty easy as ive reformatted PC's as long as I can remember, but this will be the first time on a mac (done correctly) and I dont want to fail in something so simple

Do i need to use the disk utility?
    If you'd rather use the first method I mentioned, then you have to boot the machine with your Leopard DVD 1 and run Disk Utility. After booting, cancel your way out of the installation routine and choose Disk Utility from the top menu. Highlight the hard drive and use the erase function. Then format the entire drive as one partition using HFS+.

After that, continue to install Leopard and applications from the DVD set.

As cw107 mentioned, the Leopard Disk Utility can resize partitions on the fly, however, it can not merge partitions nor am I sure it can resize non-destructively as I have never tried it.

Consider using iPartition if you don't mind spending $$$. The whole process will be a lot easier. Or, if you're daring and am willing to reinstall everything anyway, use the Linux GParted boot disk I pointed out to you.

Regards.

So finally I just erased everything and partitioned to a fresh new drive... although i know everything hardwares still the same, i just cant help but to feel that fresh cleanness of an empty desktop

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.
    - Jack Shephard

Specs:
    OK, great to hear you're back in business. If you need help creating a new Boot Camp partition, give a holler.

Regards.

Thread Information