New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

finder high cpu usage...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

michelle_taylor

michelle_taylor is on a distinguished road

I noticed today the finder was using 80% cpu in activity monitor. I clicked info to see what it was doing and it had to do with my external time machine drive. The external drive was active when the finder cpu was at 80%. This happened for about 7 minutes before finder came back down to 0%. Does anybody have a clue why finder might be doing that? I am just curious thats all.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That was "Time Machine" doing its backing up. It uses the Finder function for file and folder gathering.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
danpritts

danpritts is on a distinguished road

I ran into this problem today, finder was using 100% of a CPU with 10.6.1.

I moved everything off of my desktop into a folder and it immediately went down to normal. I've seen references online to this kind of issue with jpg files; not sure if it was a jpg or what but it solved my problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Tudor Applen

Tudor Applen is on a distinguished road

I had exactly the jpg on the desktop problem! As soon as I copied them off, went back to normal! Running 10.6.4
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

THANK YOU!!

I have been telling people for YEARS to clean off their dang desktops, that it slows the machine down (by making the Finder work harder than it has to). You guys must have had a TON of stuff on the desktop but now I have proof that this is a good practice outside my own (and my clients') experiences.

<<vindicated>>
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Whats making this thing bog down | does time machine back up secondary drives »