New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Problem with massive iTunes library...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Petehmb@sbcglob

Petehmb@sbcglob is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.53ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD, 512mb vid card.

Ok, so here's the problem...I have ~200gb of music/music videos/etc I want to put into iTunes. I bought the 320gb HD option so that I wouldn't have to lug around my 500gb external all the time just for music. Problem is, if I copy all the stuff from the HD onto the computer and then try to add it to the iTunes library, it starts creating copies of everything into the iTunes folder and then runs out of HD space. If I add it to the library from the external, then I can't play it unless I have the external. Is there a way to keep iTunes from freaking copying everything? I know you can change the source path ie where the file is located, but again - if I try and copy everything to the computer, then add it from either the computer OR the external and then change the source path to the computer - bam, runs out of space. Is this maybe just because it has to convert some of the songs from WMV format? Or just an iTunes redundancy issue?
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Should be a minor problem: Go into iTunes Preferences -> Advanced and uncheck "Keep iTunes Music folder organized". With that option checked iTunes creates it's own structure and puts it onto the primary harddisk. Unchecked will just leave the files wherever they are...

Cheers!

QUOTE Thanks
Petehmb@sbcglob

Petehmb@sbcglob is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.53ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD, 512mb vid card.

Cool thanks
QUOTE Thanks
andymac63220

andymac63220 is on a distinguished road

you could also just attach your external hard drive, then go into itunes and go file>add to library and select the folder on your external hard drive where your music appears. also you have to have your itunes music folder set somewhere on your local hard drive as well as having the "keep itunes music folder organized" option checked. the process will take a very long time since it will be copying 200gb from the external source but if you leave it over night it should be fine.

the end result will be a single copy of your entire collection on your local disk (which is nicely organized by itunes) and one on your external. if you don't want the backup on the external just erase it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reassign "CLEAR" key on numeric keypad .. Help please | Hard drive question »