New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Attaching photos to email from iPhoto?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwcbf

jwcbf is on a distinguished road

I have not been able to attach photo when I am sending an email from Gmail.

It seems simple enough. I steer it to iPhoto and there is a message to make sure it it running (it is), but I can't access any photos.

I have checked my iPhoto version per the apple website and it is compliant and made sure there is no ampersan in the file name.

Any ideas
JW
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

More information please:
Are you sending an email from the Gmail web interface (gmail.com), or are you using a client (Mail.app, for example)?
What do you click to "steer" to iPhoto?
QUOTE Thanks
axis42

axis42 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook

I had this same problem the other day. I was trying to find where Iphoto stores the actual picture file. Seems I was "overthinking" it when I wanted to see the folder in which pictures are stored. Apparently, Mac hides those folders by default. The solution given to me by one of my mac gurus is to export the picture from Iphoto (file-> export) to the desktop. That creates a smaller version (if you want) on the desktop that you can then attach to gmail with ease and then delete when you are done.

Ironically, I think this adds steps to the process which seems to go against the mac ethos. Any other ways to do this more simply?
QUOTE Thanks
jwcbf

Hey Neo,

1) Sending from Gmail web interface (gmail.com).

2) I click the attachment button. I then get a drop down window. Choose photos. I then get the message to open or make sure iPhoto is open.

I have also tried to do this through my Mail app on the MBP. Essentially the same results. The GUI is different but the process the same (as well as the results... No go).

I was able to finally send a photo (Only one at a time) if I selected the photo in iPhoto and clicked the email icon on the bottom of the iPhoto page. The Mail app then starts up.
QUOTE Thanks
jwcbf

I wouldn't think this has anuthing to do with it but...

I get a message everytime I open iPhoto asking if I want it to start anytime I connect a camera.

I been selecting - decide later?????
QUOTE Thanks
salmar

salmar is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram

I have gmail and aol using Mac mail and I am able to either drag a photo that I had dragged to the desktop and then opened up my gmail or aol and dragged the photos into the body of the window. That works for me. The other way is to click on attachment and find the photo and it embeds into the body of the email ready to send. It doesn't seem to work using the photo browser with either aol or gmail.

20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Lake Geneva, Fl
QUOTE Thanks
jwcbf

That desktop approach seems very non-mac-esque if you will (At least from my perception of mac.. this is my first).

I also tried to "steer" to the photo(s) outside of iPhoto, but was not successful.

Can one export the pics to a folder in Finder which can then be recognised by a email app and if so have I just doubled the memmory my pics take?

JW
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Actually, sending to the desktop is VERY mac-like. It is much easier than digging through folders and folders looking for pictures. And, yes, if you create another folder in finder, you will double your space usage. Copying to the desktop only sends an alias, so does not use more room. Once you have emailed the photo, you can delete the photo on the desktop.

To send more than one photo at a time, just Cmd click on the ones you want (unless they are adjacent to each other, then use Shift click) and then click on the email button.

Let iPhoto do the work for you, don't overthink things.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
jwcbf

Thanks Mary,

I thought I tried the Multiple picture email through iPhoto with out success. I will give it another try.

JW
QUOTE Thanks
anashim

anashim is on a distinguished road

I managed to upload several pictures to a Gmail message without creating the alias for the file on my desktop.

You just need to open the iPhoto window in front of the explorer window with the mail you are composing and drag the picture near the recipients boxes and it will appear a plus sign on the icon.

When this happens you just release the mouse button and the file will start uploading.

Repeat the process as many pictures you want to upload.

This is the easiest way.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You are responding to a thread that is almost four years old. The technology has changed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trouble burning/view DVD | Insert key emulation on MacPro »