New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac's sleep mode means no printing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LikeInTheMovies

LikeInTheMovies is on a distinguished road

Hello, I guess this will strike most of you as being glaringly obvious but to me, it isn't.

I have my printer connected to my iMac and using Bonjour, I managed to set it up so that I can print from my XP laptops...that is, unless the iMac is asleep after having been idle, in which case, bonjour can't find the printer. As I typed that, it was screaming out 'DUH!' but when I had the printer connected to my PC desktop (which the iMac has replaced) I didn't have this problem as the PC didn't sleep when idle.

I wondered what my options are?

I shouldn't stop the iMac sleeping should I but is there anyway to get it to wake up on a print request or do I need to buy a hub and connect that to my router?

Thanks again

JJ
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Only thing I can think of is open System Preferences, Energy Saver and set Sleep to never. It's a slider in the Energy Saver settings.

By the way, Windows can sleep and even Hibernate also and will do the same thing if set up like that.
QUOTE Thanks
LikeInTheMovies

Would that harm the iMac though?
QUOTE Thanks
aeiou

aeiou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram

No harm done, just a little more power used. You can still set it to turn off the screen but not sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
LikeInTheMovies

Oh ok, that would be the easiest solution so I'll do that for now but would you recommend I get a network printer though? I only need an inkjet good enough for photographs.
QUOTE Thanks
LikeInTheMovies

An explanation of 'how' might require another thread in the networking forum, but in principle is it possible to connect a Time Capsule to my netgear router/modem and my printer to the Time Capsule and use the Time Capsule as a network drive and printer for all the machines? I wouldn't need to have my iMac on just to print then would I?

This is an idea based solely on looking at a picture of the ports on a Time Capsule so I'm probably way off.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeInTheMovies View Post
An explanation of 'how' might require another thread in the networking forum, but in principle is it possible to connect a Time Capsule to my netgear router/modem and my printer to the Time Capsule and use the Time Capsule as a network drive and printer for all the machines? I wouldn't need to have my iMac on just to print then would I?

This is an idea based solely on looking at a picture of the ports on a Time Capsule so I'm probably way off.
Yes, it's possible to do that - but I'd recommend replacing the Netgear with the Time Capsule altogether (unless it's an all-in-one router with a modem integrated).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
LikeInTheMovies

yeh it is an all in one router..Id rather keep that if possible as it works great with my xbox360. That would work out ideal then as it was looking like I'd end up getingt a network drive and a network ready printer, but if it's possible to do that with the Time Capsule, I'd be killing 2 birds with one stone. Would I need to do anything clever to be able to access the Time Capsule from my XP machines?

If it would be better for me to ask in the networking forum just say

Thanks

JJ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing OS X on the old iMac... | CPUs going nuts »