New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Cannot open videos downloaded from my sony handycam

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve j

steve j is on a distinguished road

Hello, new to these macs but despite that i managed to download some vids from my handycam. Thing is, i cant open them. They are .MPG files, and when i try to open them in Quicktime (which is set as default), it just says 'The movie could not be opened.' 'The file is not a movie file.'
I tried opening it in windows media player, and it just comes up with 'cannot play back the file. The file format is invalid'.

Any help appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Have you downloaded both Perian and Flip4Mac? Very helpful System utilities. The other thing you need is VLC application, which will play just about anything.

Maybe you need to look too at a video file converter like Xilisoft or 4Media or iSkysoft.
QUOTE Thanks
steve j

steve j is on a distinguished road

Just downloaded perian, have no idea what i'm supposed to do with it! Have flip4mac, but again dont know what it is. Surely windows media player should be able to play mpg files? Did on my old pc.
Sorry about being so clueless!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

No apologies required.

WMV doesn't play .mpg on Mac.

Perian - the installer is part of what you've downloaded. Double click the .dmg file to open a disk image inside of which will be will be the installer. The disk image will open by itself, to give you step-by-step instructions on how to install Perian. Because it is a System enhancer, you'll need to authorise with your password its access to the System.

Flip4Mac should be in your System. You can check that by opening System Preferences. Look at the base of the window for Other, wherein you should see the green F4M icon with WMV inside it.
QUOTE Thanks
Vinny Vegas

Vinny Vegas is on a distinguished road

Had same issues...even when I brought over files from PC.

Solution was the VLC proggie...that solved everything.

D/L that & u should be golden.
QUOTE Thanks
jediracer

jediracer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook

VLC! (or iMovie 7.1.4+)
QUOTE Thanks
zman2408

zman2408 is on a distinguished road

If your mac came with iMovie you can open your videos and edit them in there ... g/l

My first apple product is this White 2.4 Mac Book I bought on September 25, 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
jediracer

jediracer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook

must be iMovie 7.1.4 or greater
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing Software | Where do you buy xp v2? »