New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need some expert help with 30" monitor setup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JtmSun

JtmSun is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3,2GHz, 18GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT

I have two machines, Mac Pro (work) with two Samsung 22" Syncmasters and iMac 24" 3,06GHz GeForce 8800 (internet/fun). Now, I want a 30" monitor in the center of my setup. Im thinking about the HP LP3065, because it has 3xDVI-D inputs, so I can switch between the two machines.

I want to replace one Samsung 22" with the HP 30", so I can work with the Mac Pro with high 2560x1600 resolution. Then I want to connect iMac with "mini DVI to DVI-D" adapter to the HP 30" also, so I can watch movies with bigger screen.

So my new setup would look like this:

iMac--->iMac own monitor (1920x1200 ---> to 30" monitor scaled/streched)
l
l
HP 30" (2560x1600)
l
l
Mac Pro
l
l---> Samsung Syncmaster 22" (1680x1050)

I just would like to know, that will this setup work out fine without any problems with different resolutions or anything? In theory it should work I guess, but I cant be sure. So I would need some expert knowledge about this.
QUOTE Thanks
HeroBiX

HeroBiX is on a distinguished road

it's Mac, I am not a pro, but every time I switch between my screens (when my macbook is at school, I change from a 19inch screen to my 42inch TV) and it works great =)

What does Intel do in a Mac?
A hole lot more then in a PC
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The scaling/stretching will likely look terrible. Via the iMac specs page, I'm unsure the iMac and 30" monitor will scale.

If anyone has experience with this, please let us know.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
JtmSun

Hmm... Is the HP LP3065 even compatible with Mac OSX? I cant find any drivers for it, only for Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The 30" display will work fine with your Mac pro without drivers...
But the miniDVI port only supports a maximum 1920x1080 resolution, so you'll not be able to use that with the 30" (unless you like blurryvision that is...).

One option: Sell the iMac now and get the new model with mini Displayport when it comes out: That connector supports duallink DVI and higher resolutions.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The newer Mini DisplayPort connector will support resolutions up to 2560 x 1600 which should be sufficient for most large HD displays.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
JtmSun

So I purchased the HP LP3065 and to my disappoitment I noticed few annoying problems. The display flickers at some points of the display like an old bathroom lamp. And the red colour is radiating so much I feel like I´m going blind. So what to do? The monitor has only brightness adjustment and that doesn´t help anything. I´ve calibrated it, but didn´t help at all.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

It sounds like a dud. Take it back. Give your eyeballs the break they deserve.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automatic picture taking with Isight | Can a mac play .WMV files? »