New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

VLC add subtitles on the fly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I'm a happy switcher and I got the new MBP 2 weeks ago.

I'm using VLC to play movies but the way of adding the subtitles is a bit annoying. I have to "open" the video file and open the subtitles file in the say time through the File menu.

When I open the video and then simply drag the subtitle file to the playing video it doesn't work. This was the way I did it on my PC before.

Is this supposed to work in OSX ?

Thanks,
Tex
QUOTE Thanks
docinsano

docinsano will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram

The only thing I can think of is to go under Video>Subtitles Track in VLC and select the subtitles you want.

Dr. Insano, PhD
Click, if you dare...
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

thanks but this option is grayed if the subtitle file is not in the same dir as the video.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 16.png (52.6 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
docinsano

docinsano will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram

Found it. Go under File>Open File. Check the "load subtitles file" box. Click settings, then browse for your file and choose the settings. Maybe try loading the video first, then loading the subtitle. Or the other way around. Hope this works.

Dr. Insano, PhD
Click, if you dare...
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-Twil View Post
Hi,
I'm a happy switcher and I got the new MBP 2 weeks ago.

I'm using VLC to play movies but the way of adding the subtitles is a bit annoying. I have to "open" the video file and open the subtitles file in the say time through the File menu.

When I open the video and then simply drag the subtitle file to the playing video it doesn't work. This was the way I did it on my PC before.

Is this supposed to work in OSX ?

Thanks,
Tex
Have you tried dragging the subtitle file to the VLC dock icon instead?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not sure when to get the new Macbook. Any ideas? | Multiple Time Machine backup locations »