New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Trackpad drag and drop woes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

willy.ca

willy.ca is on a distinguished road

Help!!!!

I am returning to Mac after a 15 year absence due to my profession which was PC-centric (I'm now retired)

I love the Mac but the drag and drop behaviour of the trackpad is driving me crazy.
When I go to drop something after dragging it takes about a second after I lift my finger from the trackpad before it drops. My experience with many PC trackpads is they release the drag the instant you lift your finger.
Is this a standard "feature" of the Mac trackpad? Or is there some way of turning it off?
I am using Leopard 10.5.5 with "Dragging" on and "Drag Lock" off.
I have searched unsuccessfully on the web for similar complaints. Am I the only one experiencing this phenomenon?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Which Macbook trackpad are you using? The new aluminum macbook with the "no button" glass trackpad, or a previous gen Macbook with a regular trackpad and button?
QUOTE Thanks
willy.ca

My MacBook Pro is an early 2008 model with one button at the bottom of the trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmmm that's weird. Do you use the button to start the drag, or do you "tap-hold"?

If it's the latter, try seeing if it still happens when you use the button...
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy.ca View Post
When I go to drop something after dragging it takes about a second after I lift my finger from the trackpad before it drops.
You have to tap once to release.

The procedure is
1. Position pointer over the item to be dragged
2. Do a "tap and a half" (Down-up-down and hold)
3. Without lifting your finger, move the item to the destination.
4. Lift up and tap once quickly to release.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

After experimenting I'd say you either need to wait a moment for dragging to be released, or you need to tap quickly as technologist says.

I've always used the button to drag, as I've found tapping to be a bit finicky for that kind of thing to be honest.
QUOTE Thanks
willy.ca

It sounds like you are confirming that this behaviour is "normal" for the Mac which disappoints me.

The saving grace is that the mouse drag and drop seems to be the same as with a PC. As soon as you release the button, it drops.

What are the chances of this "feature" of the trackpad being optional in future releases of the "Trackpad Preferences"? I'm guessing somewhere in the code there is an instruction to delay the release by "x" tenths of a second. It would be nice to be able to select 0 to 9 in this case.

What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It's that way so that you can reposition your finger mid-drag and keep on dragging if you run out of room.

As you discovered through your searches, I've never heard of anyone having any difficulty with tap-to-release in the 13 years that Apple's trackpads have supported dragging, so I'd guess you're on your own on this one.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy.ca View Post
It sounds like you are confirming that this behaviour is "normal" for the Mac which disappoints me.

The saving grace is that the mouse drag and drop seems to be the same as with a PC. As soon as you release the button, it drops.

What are the chances of this "feature" of the trackpad being optional in future releases of the "Trackpad Preferences"? I'm guessing somewhere in the code there is an instruction to delay the release by "x" tenths of a second. It would be nice to be able to select 0 to 9 in this case.

What do you think?
I don't think this will be changed anytime soon...

But it should only happen when you're tapping - not when you're actually physically pressing the button.
QUOTE Thanks
willy.ca

I realize the purpose of the delay is to allow lifting your finger momentarily when you run out of room on the trackpad and yes, it only happens when tapping, not when the button is used.
It seems to me the user should have a choice.
There is always an extra tap to accomplish something that shouldn't require a tap.
If there is a possibility of running out of room, then using the button would be the obvious choice instead of using tapping.

I guess it's not a perfect world quite yet...
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

It's still better than windows-based laptops. Except for the new Alienware, which owns all Apple laptops pretty hard.
QUOTE Thanks
David A

David A is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.8 - 4 gigs - lots of programs - lots of media

I have the same thing happen to me with my new MBP and it's definitely Mac specific. I just had to learn to be a bit more patient.
QUOTE Thanks
kylen721

kylen721 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD

I would really suggest trying the drag lock where you double click to be able to drag and then click to release I have always loved it that way.
QUOTE Thanks
mzaalam

mzaalam is on a distinguished road

I have to lend my support to those pointing this out. I can't stand it and I have to use both windows and macs on a regular basis. So there's no getting used to it. And it certainly doesn't sound like good mac philosophy to impose an extra click for nothing. The explanation given that people can then reposition their finger and continue dragging is a bit lame - I've never run out of drag space on the touchpad - it's huge anyway!

At the very least it should be configurable - unless it's just a way for apple to make us get their nice expensive mice...
QUOTE Thanks
vince

vince is on a distinguished road

well just let u know u are not on your own. i find this very anonying to me too. i have no idea why they apply a drag delay!!! if you used to click to release.that's what the drag lock for!

if anyone know any hack to change the delay. pls let us know!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MUCH Needed Advice | IMAC?? Or Not?? »