New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

@ The Apple Store Tonight

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FFD796

FFD796 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Aluminum with 4GB / MacMini / 160GB Ipod Classic / 8GB Ipod Touch

Tonight I took a trip to the local Apple store to put my hands on the new MacBook to try and figure out what I would like to get. I am currently shopping to replace my PC laptop with a new Mac for for work. As an account manager for a local imaging/computer supply company, I travel (local) a great deal and use my laptop daily. The main purpose would be e-mail and having quotes and specs on hand. I currently work from home and have a very nice desktop PC that I do not wish to replace and recently purchased a mac mini for the purpose of getting to know the mac OS.

My thought on the way to the store was a new 13-inch macBook 2.0 GHz with an upgrade to 4GB of DDR3 and a 250GB Drive; however, then i started playing with the MacBook Air!

I think that this would be a great laptop but the fact that I can only get 2GB scares me (like i said I am new to the mac world). When I purchased my Mac Mini I upgraded that to 2GB when i got home and it seams to be fine with everything that i have used it for.

What I am looking for is your thoughts on the MacBook vs. MacBook Air.

Lack of Ports (does this bother you)
Battery (Air would have to be changed at the Apple Store)
Performance Difference ????
2GB vs 4GB

The optical drive does not sound like a problem as i do not use it on the road.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

What kind of programs are you using for your work?
QUOTE Thanks
FFD796

Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Aluminum with 4GB / MacMini / 160GB Ipod Classic / 8GB Ipod Touch

Most of it is MS Excel, but I do have a copy of office for mac so i do not think that will be a big deal.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

2GB is the minimum for what you are doing. I would get something that can use 4GB on the safe side, so you don't get the beach ball of death. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
FFD796

Hmmm that is what i was thinking but i thought maybe 2GB was ok with the Mac OS
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

I think either one will suit you fine, which everyone you decide on. It sounds like you will just be using your Mac for business and work. I think the MBA will suit your needs.

The MB is also very portable, I do most of my work on it because I do a lot of design work. I need the extra power for working on high res imaging.
QUOTE Thanks
FFD796

Has anyone had any problems with the Air?
QUOTE Thanks
terrible1one3

terrible1one3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod

2GB is more than enough for the office suite plus e-mail. Where you get in trouble is running virtual machines and stuff like that.

If 2GB weren't enough for common computing (office suite, e-mail, web browsing, messaging) mac wouldn't offer it.

Personally I had the last gen macbook air and currently have a new macbook. I did the 4GB RAM upgrade and it was worth it, I run a windows virtual machine constantly so I like having the extra space and more ram allocated to it.

I got rid of the air because I needed more hard drive capacity, and more horsepower. Two things that mac has upgraded in the new release macbook air.

If you got a new one with the works it would be an absolutely amazing machine.

1.8GHz 6MB L2
128GB SSD
2GB PC-8500 DDR3

That is turning me on just thinking about it!

I think the perfect air would be:

2.0GHz or Higher 6MB L2
256GB SSD
4GB DDR3

That plus the air chassis would justify the high price to me.
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

I have only recently upgraded to 2GB from 1GB. I do a lot of photoshop work and it suits me fine

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

For what you want to do, 1Gb would be enough.

2Gb is plenty.
QUOTE Thanks
FFD796

Thanks for the input, I would have to run vm ware with XP but do not plan to use it much. the more i think about it, I am thinking it would be fine as i do have alot loaded on this mac mini and it runs great.
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

I sold both of mine hated the constant fans going with any flash ad, heat was bad, Rev A looks great but slow, also needs more then 2G IMHO
QUOTE Thanks
Dylanyouto

Dylanyouto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D

I think for what you are doing both would work. I do not own either of these (getting a new macbook in about a month) but like your said you travel alot so the Macbook air might be good for less weight. I have heard they can get a little hot and sometimes a little noisy. But if the weight thing isn't that much of an issue I think I would go with the macbook. Mainly becuase they are silent and keep very cool. They have more ports (maybe you will need them some day for work) and more hard drive space. And they are cheaper.

As far as the RAM issue goes I think that 2gb's in either machine would be good for what you are doing. But if you deiced to get the macbook you could always start with 2gb's then upgrade to 4gb's if you think you needed it.

Good luck on your new machine
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
2GB is the minimum for what you are doing. I would get something that can use 4GB on the safe side, so you don't get the beach ball of death. >_>"
Don't forget he can always upgrade his RAM.... it might be cheaper than buying more RAM pre installed.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

Mark W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
Don't forget he can always upgrade his RAM.... it might be cheaper than buying more RAM pre installed.
You cannot upgrade the RAM in the MBA

 2009 17" Macbook Pro w/ 27" Cinema Display  2010 13" Macbook Air  64GB iPad  32GB iPhone 4  Original Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Option key??? | toast 9.0 »