New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Batch Edit File Privileges

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cceverett

cceverett is on a distinguished road

I am trying to edit the privileges on a bunch of files I have created (.xls) It seems that sometimes these privileges will allow me to edit/open docs from a remote pc on my network and sometimes it won't. I am not sure why the privileges are different on some. But I would like to batch edit all of them to allow access (read/write) from any pc/mac on my network. Is this possible?
I have about 300 files and do not want to do it one by one.

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

are they all in the same directory?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cceverett

Yes, If I highlight them and go to "get info". It says under Sharing and Permissions - "You have Mixed Access". But will not give me the option to change it
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

if you drop to a terminal window you can do a

chmod 755 /path/to/directory/*.xls

755 is user read, write, execute. group, read, execute other, read execute

mike
QUOTE Thanks
cceverett

It keeps giving me "No such file or directory"
My path is "chmod 755 /Users/chad/Documents/Work/Missouri/Excel Site Surveys/Uploaded/*.xls"

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac will become famous soon enough

You can't use spaces in a file path unless you put quotes around the whole path name or escape the spaces (e.g Excel\ Site\ Surveys).

An easier way would be: type cd<space> in the terminal; drag the folder in question to the terminal window; press return - this will get you to the correct directory; then type chmod 755 *.xls and return; done.
QUOTE Thanks
cceverett

I finally got back to this and can now get to the file. (Thanks to Ron4Mac). But it finds the first file in the directory and says "Permission Denied". I am logged in as an admin. Any ideas now?
Again Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

might not have permissions at this point. do a

ls -l /Users/chad/Documents/Work/Missouri/"Excel Site Surveys"/Uploaded/*.xls

mike
QUOTE Thanks
cceverett

I think that worked. Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

well, that will show permissions. if you don't have w, you're not going to be able to change them without doing a sudo or.. a chown

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reformat/partition question | To potential switchers - Macbook Performance »