New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Swapping HDDs between Macbooks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tdkask

tdkask is on a distinguished road

This is my first post here, and will be my first Mac Computer.

I have been with Windows PCs for years but a few months ago my wife got a MacBook. I am due to upgrade soon and will be getting a MacBook now too. It is a little of the unknown to me, but I will take the plunge since I think once I adjust I'll be happier.

My question lies here: Her older gen MacBook has a 120GB HDD and the one I will purchase will have the 250GB. I am curious if these are interchangeable? I use less HDD than she does and it would be convenient for me to just interchange them. I understand that replacing a HDD does not void warranty, correct? Can I simply drop the newer HDD (from a 2nd gen) into her older (1st gen) Macbook and power up and restore from Time Machine? Can I then drop her older HDD into my newer (2nd gen) Macbook and "restore" with included system disks to like new condition? Are there any conflicts between the hardware of a older gen and a second gen Macbook? Are there licensing or serial number issues, etc? In the end they will both end up with the software intended for that computer, but installed on the different HDDs.

If this is not feasible, what upgrade HDDs are most compatible for (1st gen) Macbooks?

Thanks for the advice.

David
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

Jhorra is on a distinguished road

They should be compatible, but a warning, if you swap out the hard drives yourself you void the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
tdkask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorra View Post
They should be compatible, but a warning, if you swap out the hard drives yourself you void the warranty.
Only if they are still swapped when I carry them in, right, and only if associated would they catch it, right? I mean, If my keyboard quit how would they know I'd swapped the HDD? Or is it all visible by software somehow?
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

Jhorra is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if there is a sticker cover or something, but if you can put it back in without being noticed . . .
QUOTE Thanks
tdkask

Anyone had any experience with this or know for sure if it voids warranty? The manual that comes with them has instructions for replacing the HDD. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jamin100

jamin100 is on a distinguished road

replacing the hard drive does not void the warranty but obviously if the replaced hard drive fails then apple will not replace it
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

Mark W is on a distinguished road

The MacBook's hard drive is like the RAM, defined as user-replaceable.

You can do what you are saying without any problems and without voiding the warranty - just make sure that you have the latest version of Leopard on the old hard drive so it will be compatible with the new MacBook.

If you do run into problems, you can always do an archive and reinstall.

 2009 17" Macbook Pro w/ 27" Cinema Display  2010 13" Macbook Air  64GB iPad  32GB iPhone 4  Original Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mic input Garage band question | Mac forums I need your help! »