Need help finding the right mac!
    Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a nice cheap destop. I like the mac g5 but don't know much about the differences in a single cpu or intel or dual processor/ dual core. What is a good used price on these assuming an average condition. My main use would be everyday internet use, word, watching videos, downloads, listening to music, minor video editing and graphic design, playing poker (multitabling), etc.

I'm thinking about buying this one locally but not sure if it's a good price.

G5
    SPECS:
    Power Mac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
    150gig hard drive
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.0)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 2 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 2.5 GB
    Bus Speed: 1 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1
    Uses PCI-e slots <br. 4 usb ports in back and extra up front

Please tell me what price is too much and what price is just right. And aslo what the retail is and furture resell value.

It'll come with a mighty mouse that has left/right click and scroll and i'm assuming standard keyboard.

Will this run windows? Can I install the latest operating system on this?
    Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Specs:
    Custom PC
    As great as the newer PPC-based Macs are (or were), you might as well go Intel-based, simply for the fact that a lot of software developers are not support PPC architecture anymore because of the switch a few years ago.

I'd personally go with the cheapest 20" iMac they have out now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArt View Post
    As great as the newer PPC-based Macs are (or were), you might as well go Intel-based, simply for the fact that a lot of software developers are not support PPC architecture anymore because of the switch a few years ago.

I'd personally go with the cheapest 20" iMac they have out now.
    I don't really see any point for me to spend extra on an intel since i would only need a computer for photoshop, final cut, ms word, the internet, etc. I'm planning to get 2 20' monitors so I'm not really in the market for an iMac. What's a good price on the g5 listed above? I need to know how much to offer. Is there any other specs I need to find out about this computer?

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
    I say go for it. Although I couldn't afford a G5 at the time, it was what I would've gotten. I have a G4 MDD instead, and most programs work fine with PPC as they are Universal. However, more and more programs, as stated above, are leaning towards intel only. Look for the "Universal" logo on your software to find out if it'll run on a PPC mac, then decide.

Edit: I would pay no more than $1,000 for a G5. They ran around the 600-800 range when I was shopping for one two years ago, so maybe a little cheaper now? And yes, I do believe you can run the latest OSX on a G5. No, you cannot run windows on a PPC mac, only macintels can run OSX and windows.
    Dr. Insano, PhD
    Click, if you dare...

Quote Originally Posted by docinsano View Post
    I say go for it. Although I couldn't afford a G5 at the time, it was what I would've gotten. I have a G4 MDD instead, and most programs work fine with PPC as they are Universal. However, more and more programs, as stated above, are leaning towards intel only. Look for the "Universal" logo on your software to find out if it'll run on a PPC mac, then decide.

Edit: I would pay no more than $1,000 for a G5. They ran around the 600-800 range when I was shopping for one two years ago, so maybe a little cheaper now? And yes, I do believe you can run the latest OSX on a G5. No, you cannot run windows on a PPC mac, only macintels can run OSX and windows.
    Thank you Docinsano. You've been very helpful. Is there any signs of a bad mac if I were to inspect one? like slow starting up, a tower that heats up too fast or makes loud noises when running, etc. Thanks everyone.

Thread Information