New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Awaiting my MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rip Vega

Rip Vega is on a distinguished road

My first post to say Hi, and I really appreciate all the info here.

Having been a PC user since the early days of DOS I'm finally dipping my toe in the Mac water and have ordered a MPB this weekend. (20 days delivery!!).

It was my first iPod and MusicMatch (no iTunes for Windows users back then) that first planted the switching seed, my 2G iPhone that started the germination and my 3G iPhone that finally had the idea break ground.

So, I'm a little daunted by all the new learning ahead and excited at the new possibilities.

19 days to go!
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Vega View Post
My first post to say Hi, and I really appreciate all the info here.

Having been a PC user since the early days of DOS I'm finally dipping my toe in the Mac water and have ordered a MPB this weekend. (20 days delivery!!).

It was my first iPod and MusicMatch (no iTunes for Windows users back then) that first planted the switching seed, my 2G iPhone that started the germination and my 3G iPhone that finally had the idea break ground.

So, I'm a little daunted by all the new learning ahead and excited at the new possibilities.

19 days to go!
Congratulations on your new purchase! What specs did you order? I'm still waiting for my Macbook to deliver - The status was updated yesterday to "Shipment Prepared" and this morning it is "Shipped" - wooo!

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
Rip Vega

Rip Vega is on a distinguished road

I ordered 2.8 with 320G/7200 drive.

I was surprised there weren't more options.

Is the RAM upgradeable after you get it?

The big thing I'll miss v my Dell is the integrated 3G. I can't find an express card that does 3G without a big lump sticking out the side.

I'm hoping it will tether to my iPhone OK for 3G surfing.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

The RAM is maxed out on MBPs. Which sucks but that could change with Snow Leopard. Leopard/XP/Vista (possibly not Vista 64-Bit) limit at just over 3GB (Leopard can use 4GB I have read that it can use 6GB but at 8GB it has problems).

Have fun with your MBP, I wish I got the 2.8Ghz but oh well. I am planning the upgrade to a 7,200rpm soon. Maybe this month depend on cash. Christmas is coming!

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O View Post
The RAM is maxed out on MBPs. Which sucks but that could change with Snow Leopard. Leopard/XP/Vista (possibly not Vista 64-Bit) limit at just over 3GB (Leopard can use 4GB I have read that it can use 6GB but at 8GB it has problems).

Have fun with your MBP, I wish I got the 2.8Ghz but oh well. I am planning the upgrade to a 7,200rpm soon. Maybe this month depend on cash. Christmas is coming!
The new macbooks chipsets do not have a problem handling upto 6GB. It is only with anything higher that will cause a problem - This may be rectified in Snow Leopard

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Vega View Post
I ordered 2.8 with 320G/7200 drive.

I was surprised there weren't more options.

Is the RAM upgradeable after you get it?

The big thing I'll miss v my Dell is the integrated 3G. I can't find an express card that does 3G without a big lump sticking out the side.

I'm hoping it will tether to my iPhone OK for 3G surfing.
Nice machine. I'm sure you will love it.

QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

Wow! I cant believe that they are putting 2.8Ghz processors in Laptops.
My imac only has a 2.0Ghz. I need to get a 2.6 sometime soon.

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

MBPDave is on a distinguished road

Congrats
QUOTE Thanks
Mongamer

Mongamer is on a distinguished road

Congratulations you have an awesome computer and welcome to the mac experience.

Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHZ 2GB RAM 80GB
(Late 2007)
QUOTE Thanks
matty1124

matty1124 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz MBP

The wait only gets worse... I ordered mine and have been waiting... thursday is the day!!!! My first Mac!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice Pllleeeeeasssseeee... | Shared Tab? »