New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to add a custom keyboard shortcut

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

diffuser78

diffuser78 is on a distinguished road

For example, I want

Apple Key + 1 = Terminal

Apple Key + 2 = Safari

etc?

How can this be done in mac os X. I couldn't find this in the "System Preferences" and "Keyboard Shortcuts".

Thanks for your time,

Daniel
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I believe you can add custom keyboard shortcuts by going to "System Preferences"->"Keyboard & Mouse". Select the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab.

Click on + and then select the application from the "Application" box.

Select a menu title (command) if applicable and then choose which keyboard shortcut keys you wish to apply. You should be able to repeat the process for as many shortcuts as you need provided they don't duplicate what the system already uses.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
diffuser78

I tried that but it works to create shortcuts within an application.

I want the ability to create shortcuts to start an Application. For example by pressing command+1 would open a terminal for me. I hate using mouse or mousepad.

I tried exactly what you told me before posting my problem and it won't solve the issue I am having. Comments welcome....

Daniel
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're correct, it only works within an application. A Google search doesn't help much as most responses are for remapping the keyboard shortcuts for applications or movements.

You're probably going to have to find a third party application which allows for special keyboard command customization - something like "WinKey", a popular freeware keyboard customizing program for Windows.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
diffuser78

Thanks for your help and time. I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
ObliviousFool

ObliviousFool is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to re-map shortcut for putting display to sleep (shift, control, eject) to something I can do to with one hand, but I cannot find the shortcut listed anywhere in the keyboard shortcuts section of system preferences.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Install the Quicksilver beta from blacktree... once in quicksilver (you can make it a startup item with no dock icon too so that its completely in the background), go to preferences. If you can't get there, you invoke quicksilver by hitting control spacebar, then get to preferences by hitting command , (comma). Go to Triggers, hit the plus sign. Select "Hotkey." Start typing the app you want to launch. "Open" should be the default action, but if it isn't, hit tab to advance to that field, then type open. Click save. Then you click the empty space where it says "Trigger" (have), and go under the settings pane. Click into the "Enter hotkey" field that is flashing, and then hit the key combo you want to assign. You've got some other options that are fairly self explanatory, like if you want to launch it on release of the keys, on hold for x amount of time, or just on press.

For the record, I usually make my custom hotkey commands contain both command and shift just to prevent overlap with other App key combos.
QUOTE Thanks
coledeb

coledeb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 11" i5 Mid 2012 Mountain Lion 10.8.5

can't you use bettertouchtool to do this? (sorry, I didn't see that this was an old thread )

Romans 8:31
QUOTE Thanks
NewtotheMacs

NewtotheMacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I believe you can add custom keyboard shortcuts by going to "System Preferences"->"Keyboard & Mouse". Select the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab.

Click on + and then select the application from the "Application" box.

Select a menu title (command) if applicable and then choose which keyboard shortcut keys you wish to apply. You should be able to repeat the process for as many shortcuts as you need provided they don't duplicate what the system already uses.

Regards.
So I created a shortcut for "start speaking text" using command+T

I forgot that this was the shortcut for a "new tab" and now I can't figure out how to change it back.

Can someone please assist me with this? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Weapon: Macbook Pro 5,5 (Mid-2009)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovering Data from DOA Power Mac G4 | Mac trade in »