New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Where do files go?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mpj1969

mpj1969 is on a distinguished road

Hi bought a new macbook recently and am getting on ok, but have a couple of silly question

When i download a file ( i use Speeddownload ) where do the files go?
Also when i unrar a file it defaults to file directory, but how do i find this?
Lastly once i have added a folder to itunes can i then delete the original file. In windows I used to have to consolidate library before deleting stuff.

Hope I have made myself clear , and thanks in advance from the forum

p.s the macbook is great

Cheers Marin
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

They go wherever the preference setting in each app is set to send them to.

As for adding a folder to iTunes... you can delete the original file as long as you have the preference enabled to copy files to the iTunes Music Library.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Ľ Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Spotlight often works great for finding files on your HD. Command-Space to activate. Type in at least a part of the name of what you are looking for.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpj1969 View Post
Hi bought a new macbook recently and am getting on ok, but have a couple of silly question

When i download a file ( i use Speeddownload ) where do the files go?
Also when i unrar a file it defaults to file directory, but how do i find this?
Lastly once i have added a folder to itunes can i then delete the original file. In windows I used to have to consolidate library before deleting stuff.

Hope I have made myself clear , and thanks in advance from the forum

p.s the macbook is great

Cheers Marin
I use that program to download stuff too. I find the files in the download stack in the dock.

When I unrar stuff it's usually in the same place where the file is found.
QUOTE Thanks
mpj1969

mpj1969 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your replies
Crimson, mine do not go into stack? How would i set this up?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpj1969 View Post
Thanks for all your replies
Crimson, mine do not go into stack? How would i set this up?
Under Preferences, and then My Downloads.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Zip then FTP | cant download anything »