New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - Which one's right for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Melorock089

Melorock089 is on a distinguished road

hello guys, I'm buying my first MB so bear with me please .

I'm definitly going to get a apple notebook, just don't know which one (new MB OR new MBP). I'm a bit of a noob. I know what, just not how. I'll try to make this short on what I think/have gathered so far and please help me add and fill in the holes.

Reasons to get MB.

I'm getting a high end 30-40" LCD TV and I want to hook it up to my notebook via direct or docking station and use the tv as my monitor THEREFORE....

- I don't really need the 15" that of MBP?
-the smaller 13"MB would be more portable and lighter.
-the TV would be better graphics right so it knocks out one of MBP's advantages?
-cheaper price and I can upgrade the RAM/memory instead

Reasons to get MBP

-Better graphics, Better video card
-Has firewire 800 (I'm not sure if I need this ....what again does it do?)
- More Ghz, more Ram/memory, just general 'umph'

* however more expenisive, and may be pointlessly heavier and bigger

USED FOR:
MUSIC: music production, music encoding, logic studio 8, recording, editing, files, songs, anything and everything with music.

College: self explainitory. I can roll with XP so I should be fine if I need Microsoft word or etc.

Gaming: I got an xbox 360, so other than starcraft 2 (and maybe the next sims) coming up, not a big computer gamer.

Video Editing? Umm, this is a possibility in the future. Hah if I can somehow crazily pull off a music video. Maybe if I play a show, I can tape myself, maybe compile a montage, but I'm not going to make a movie.

LASTLY Now I know I'm missing something. Maybe some extra features and specifictions that I should have taken notice? Anything you guys can add or suggest will be MUCH appreciated. It seems I am leaning towards the MB with what I gathered but I am not commited just yet. Hah even if one of you guys wants to throw a excellent LCD TV out there, go ahead. Again Thank you very much.

-seth
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

The new Macbook has a sufficient integrated video card to get through your "basic" needs, such as 'light' gaming, music editing, internet browsing, word, etc.

If you plan on using your LCD TV for gaming, I suggest you get the MBP. The dedicated graphics card will do you good when playing games at a higher resolution.

Then again, you don't seem to do alot of movie editing, photo editing, graphics, or anything else that should struggle the integrated graphics.....

Its your choice, but if I had the money, I would go for the PRO. Even that little "umph" is worth the extra .5 lbs and +2" screen.

Good Luck
~Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Melorock089

bump

Also, upgrading the MB's RAM and memory could be a possibile I can consider. Thanks again for your help!

-seth
QUOTE Thanks
Melorock089

sorry nevermind, double post
QUOTE Thanks
mystic_fm

mystic_fm will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM

If you're going to do serious music production, I'm sure you'll want to use an external audio interface, and many of those will work best with a Firewire 800 connection. (USB 2.0 is another common connection option, but from what I understand the Firewire interface, if available, will experience less latency.) If you already have an external audio device, the type of connections it supports should be factored into your decision.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Do you have the money for a MacBook Pro?
They are significantly better than MacBooks for the type of work you are affiliated with.
Let's put it this way:
They use MacBook Pros for mixing Eric Clapton's audio.
How do I know this? I walked up to them and asked when I was at his concert.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Melorock089

wow, MBP must be the real deal.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Sharing between two Macs | Switching to Leopard...Yay or Nay? »