New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro - Newby - MB or MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwcbf

jwcbf is on a distinguished road

Hey Folks,

First post here.

My PC laptop just died and I think I am going to make the jump to a Mac. I am trying to decide between the MB or MB Pro.

My MS Flight simulator X really challenged my PC so, I would like to be able to output the picute to my LCD TV and not have it studder. I will also be using photoshop and would like to run some modeling software (ProE type stuff).

Is the MB more than adequate....?

Maybe this is a better question, when should somebody move up to the MBP (types of SW, applications..etc)?

Thanks
JW
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

If you've got the extra cash I'd say get a Macbook Pro, but the MacBook should be able to meet your computing needs.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
MacJuen

MacJuen is an unknown at this point

I have a Macbook Pro 15.4". Here are my reasons why I chose the MBP.

1) Color. Not a fan of the white or black Macbooks.
2) Screen size. I've had 2 17" notebooks, and my current 15.4" MBP. I don't think I could handle having a 13" screen.
3) Performance. From what I hear, the MBP's are obviously a performer. I use my MBP for Flash CS3, Photoshop CS3, Final Cut Pro 5, Cinema 4D, Office and surfing the net. She handles like a Pro (pun intended).

2013 15" MBP - 2.6ghz QC i7 - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD
2002 G4 Tower - Dual 450s - 1GB RAM - 270GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

Go for the MacBook PRO. Considering your Photoshop needs, and probably the graphic intense flight simulator, the dedicated graphics card may be a better idea for you..
QUOTE Thanks
jwcbf

Thank you for the replys...

I have a few follow-up questions.

1) Can you get both GPUs working together via the GeForce Boost SLI (I have read Yes and No)?

2) Are there protective/filtering covers available for the screen that makes it view more like a Matte display?

3) It has been suggested to me to hold off and wait for the new touch display (like the iPhone). Anyone know about this?

Thanks again
JW
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

1) I've been doing some reading and all sources seem to point that you can't.

2) I'm sure there will be some screen covers eventually...but not a lot of accessories have came out yet. I'd give them a few more weeks before they starting releasing the normal accessories (ie. covers, screen covers, etc.)

3) I haven't heard about the touch display. If you need a new computer now...get what meets your needs. They'll always be coming out with something new, but you just have to obtain whats available to meet your computing needs.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

If you want a touch screen then you need to contact Axiotron : Modbook

They can hook you up But if you want to run FlightSim X and get good frame rates, you need the Pro. No doubt. I am currently selling my 17 inch pro to buy the new 15.4 inch pro. And my 17 ran sim X rather well for a laptop. So I imagine the new model will do so even better.
QUOTE Thanks
fungry

fungry is on a distinguished road

As far as using both GPUs are concerned (GeforceBoost), you cannot do it currently. However nvidia did make a statement that it is still possible but Apple has to do their part.

If you are short for the MBP in terms of budget, the MB will cover your needs in terms of Adobe software. Many of Adobe products are not highly GPU based such as Photoshop CS3 as many people assume. It is more CPU intensive. Having said that however, CS4 does implement GPU-acceleration.

You also stated that you want to run FSX, in another case, I would therefore have to recommend the MBP.

Basically, get the MBP
QUOTE Thanks
jwcbf

Thanks again for the input folks.

fungry, do you know what was meant by "Apple doing their part"?

I assume this upgrade (GeforceBoost), could not be done with a SW update.

JW
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

get a new macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving files to a NTFS Hard drive leaves ._ files anyway to stop this? | getting a macbook for my brother »