New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Gone and ordered...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imran

imran is on a distinguished road

Hello

Placed an order for a MacBook 2.4, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD...

I was torn between the MB and the MBP went with the former mainly due to the form factor and I pretty much only need it need for general work and maybe some easy web work.

I've decided to get myself the Apple LED Cinema Display when it's released.

A couple of questions....

1) I was tempted to go for the SSD option but thought it best to wait, any idea when some new offerings will be hitting the market? Would like the price to come down a notch.

2) What Wireless Printer would you recommend, inject based please.

3) Can the Time Capsule be used as a normll HDD over the network to store files etc

4) I'm after a MB case (sleeve) with a handle, appreciate the assistance.

Many thanks for your time

Imran
QUOTE Thanks
terrible1one3

terrible1one3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran View Post
Hello

Placed an order for a MacBook 2.4, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD...

I was torn between the MB and the MBP went with the former mainly due to the form factor and I pretty much only need it need for general work and maybe some easy web work.

I've decided to get myself the Apple LED Cinema Display when it's released.

A couple of questions....

1) I was tempted to go for the SSD option but thought it best to wait, any idea when some new offerings will be hitting the market? Would like the price to come down a notch.

2) What Wireless Printer would you recommend, inject based please.

3) Can the Time Capsule be used as a normll HDD over the network to store files etc

4) I'm after a MB case (sleeve) with a handle, appreciate the assistance.

Many thanks for your time

Imran
I got the same exact computer but I upgraded the RAM myself. I love it!

1. 256 GB is going to be mass produced soon. Prices are still to high, wait till next time to buy a laptop. There will be more space and more affordable.

2. If you are thinking time capsule get a good ole usb printer and use the time capsule to share the printer. Will save you money and consolidate your home IT inventory.

3. Yes it can, you can use it as a network share for all computers including PC's and as your time machine backup for multiple macs.

4. I got a marware sportfolio deluxe, it is pretty much a really nice sleeve that fits your ac adapter and any other random things, it is very small, fairly expensive at 80 bucks, but super nice, small, and light. No more than you need and no less.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible1one3 View Post
1. 256 GB is going to be mass produced soon. Prices are still to high, wait till next time to buy a laptop. There will be more space and more affordable.
I think terrible1one3 means wait until next time to buy a laptop with SSD.

Congratulations on your order.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
imran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible1one3 View Post
I got the same exact computer but I upgraded the RAM myself. I love it!

2. If you are thinking time capsule get a good ole usb printer and use the time capsule to share the printer. Will save you money and consolidate your home IT inventory.

3. Yes it can, you can use it as a network share for all computers including PC's and as your time machine backup for multiple macs.

4. I got a marware sportfolio deluxe, it is pretty much a really nice sleeve that fits your ac adapter and any other random things, it is very small, fairly expensive at 80 bucks, but super nice, small, and light. No more than you need and no less.
Many thanks for your time....

1) I'll wait until SSD prices come down, it seems pretty easy to change the HDD

2) Could I use a standard NAS drive for Time Machine backups? I assume only certain printers will work in shared mode via the TC?

3) The sportfolio looks really cool, thanks for the link

4) Do you know of any bluetooth headphones, don't want to disturb others at home when I'm watching a movie / listening to music

QUOTE Thanks
imran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.heron View Post
I think terrible1one3 means wait until next time to buy a laptop with SSD.

Congratulations on your order.
Yep, I've waited long enough, we should have seen greater uptake of SSD for laptops at least to drive down prices. Why have manufacturers held back all this time, down to production most probably however one would have thought demand increases output which in return reduces cost.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac to pc word format problems | Question about VPN »