New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Mini And Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

richieg

richieg is on a distinguished road

I have toyed with the idea of getting a mac for a while now after being a lifelong windows user and after seeing the mac mini has got me even more interested because it is a small neat PC that doesn't look like a PC and is good value. I know both types of machine can handle everything I do on a PC but I'm thinking the mac can do it better. I have a few questions though.
1. I plan to use it with my ipod and for surfing, digital photos and but soon I want to use it for video editing when I buy a camera. Can the mini handle editing well? Can I hook the mini upto a DVD recorder to burn using that or can you tell me what format the superdrive burns in?
2. I currently have a windows laptop, is there any way to sync both for files (word,excel), itunes and outlook contacts?
3. Is iDVD sufficient for video editing from a camera or should I look at additional software?
4. Is iwork fully compatible with word, excel etc and does it save in office recognisable formats or should I get office for macs?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

get office for mac, and for the video editing get final cut express, if you just doing basic video editing there is no need for final cut pro

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Even iMovie is fairly capable of doing simple edits/effects/mixing so I'd give it a whirl first.

If you want to make it a real hobby (making video's that is) I'd look at Final Cut Express later...

You can purchase an external DVD burner and burn your films straight from that. (with a special patch for iDVD that is)
For burning data you need to get Toast 6, so maybe keep your eyes open for a burner that has it bundled.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

iWork is pretty good I'd presume considering it as appleworks still opens half my sisters ms office documents (if thats any kind of indication?). If you wanted to do word processing get NeoOffice/J (Functionally equivalent to mac office though uglier, has excellent ms office compatability, is free, similar menus and buttons to office for windows), its just as fast, if not faster as mac office and doesn't crash as much (Mac Office is bloated on my iBook which has similar specs to the mini, after the 30 day trial I ditched it for neooffice). Imovie works pretty well on my iBook, though I've only used it for 2 presentations, its acceptably fast, comparable to Adobe Premiere on my 2.8ghz pc.

NeoOffice/J link: http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php

BTW Openoffice under X11 is the same thing ut runs horribly...
QUOTE Thanks
Sexyboy

Sexyboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieg
I have toyed with the idea of getting a mac for a while now after being a lifelong windows user and after seeing the mac mini has got me even more interested because it is a small neat PC that doesn't look like a PC and is good value. I know both types of machine can handle everything I do on a PC but I'm thinking the mac can do it better. I have a few questions though.
1. I plan to use it with my ipod and for surfing, digital photos and but soon I want to use it for video editing when I buy a camera. Can the mini handle editing well? Can I hook the mini upto a DVD recorder to burn using that or can you tell me what format the superdrive burns in?
2. I currently have a windows laptop, is there any way to sync both for files (word,excel), itunes and outlook contacts?
3. Is iDVD sufficient for video editing from a camera or should I look at additional software?
4. Is iwork fully compatible with word, excel etc and does it save in office recognisable formats or should I get office for macs?
I can surely say the macmini an handel editing flawlessley if you have enough ram I recomend at least 512ram. if you get 1 gig you wont have a problem. If I was you I would save up and get a refub imac g5. If you upgrade to 1 gig its 1,100 dollars. i would get a refub imac g5 1.6ghz combo drive with 17inch screen for only the same price. And plus the g4 is so slow compared to the g5.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

Umm about syncing you could try RsyncX which is moderately hard to setup, but once you have set it up its automated and you an either schedule a sync on an event or time or just run the sync scripts manually. As for outlook contacts that'll be tricky but there is this which will work with exchange servers
http://www.snerdware.com/addressx/
which is what my mum uses..., heres a link to some verisiontracker stuff also:
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...tlook+contacts
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexyboy
the g4 is so slow compared to the g5.

You are correct, however, this may seem rather confusing to a new user..

Here it is:

The G4 is fast...the g5 is just much faster...
QUOTE Thanks
richieg

richieg is on a distinguished road

I would love to get an imac and a refurb would be a cheaper way of getting one but as I am based in Ireland I don't think I can get my hands on 1 and they are more expensive new here than the U.S!
I think I will take my time on this and make sure the mac is right for me. I might also consider an ibook as it is the same money, relatively similar spec and is portable. If I want I can still hook it to a monitor/tv if I want.
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

I occastionaly do video editing on my mini (1.25Gz) and it is surprisingly capable considering how cheap and small the machine is. While not the fastest at applying filters and encoding the rest of the package is very snappy and doesn't feel held back by the hardware in any way.
QUOTE Thanks
topshot

Since you want to get the mini for its asthetics, I'd suggest that to do go get it but that you upgrade the ram to 1GB and get the internal DVD writer combo upgrade. The software that comes with the mac will more than satisfy your needs for internet, pictures, movie editing and DVD Menu authoring and then some. You truly will be amazed at how consistant the iLife and iWork applications are between each other and will quickly get familiar. You will need MS Office for excel files however and Pages is very good at creating good looking documents that are also able to export to word and I haven't had any problems reading word files from Pages.

So, to sum up, all you need is the top range Mac Mini with 1GB and DVD-Writer combo included. Nothing else needed. No extra software, no expensive external drives, no heavy lifters.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« windows speed vs mac speed | As I escaped the desert of Windows... »