New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My unbiased review after 5 months of my Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Z4MC

Z4MC is on a distinguished road

For all of you switchers like me, (not a full switcher- I still have two PC's) here is my evaluation after using my Mac pretty solid for 5 months.
Did not break down the differences between hardware and OS X

Likes /Goods
1> LOVE the fact that it starts so fast and really has the "sleep" thing down- so many PCs start out OK but lock up after a few months of usage. I never shut my Mac off unless it updates and it has worked flawlessly.

2> Most everything has plugged and played very well- i was concerned about this but so far no problems.

3> Have gotten used to the fact that "closing" a program doesn't really close it- makes opening it again faster.

4> Personal thing- My Favorite Sony Wireless PC keybaord plugs and plays perfectly with it!!

5> Yes i do like the OS X interface better than Vista but later have one big caveat.

6> And I even like the MS Office for Mac better than office 2007 for Windows (that's another subject!) I also like MS Live IM

7> As a matter of fact i don't feel "software deprived" at all as most everything a PC has Mac now does- even my favorite desktop note taking app- Evernote (GET this if you havent used it yet!)

8> not a feature but I got over the fact that MS Clear Type is "clearer" than the algorithm that Macs use for on screen font rendering. MS is crisper and superior but have gotten used the the "softness" of viewing Mac fonts

9> LOVE the fact you can color code file names in the Finder (where have you been all my life!!) This is something MS should have done a LONG time ago

9> Maybe the best thing that I can say is that for the most part my transformation has been fairly simple and not that traumatic. I still have some Mac things to learn but mostly it is pretty straightforward and simple with ONE major exception....

BADS/DISLIKES

1> I really like the "Right click" centric interface of Windows vs the "drag and drop" centric interface of the Mac. For instance it is SIMPLY EASIER and BETTER to right click on a file and have an option to email that document without having to DRAG it to the dock to email it. On a 30" screen chances are you lose the icon on the way- just put in the right click and be done with it- MS is not all crap and their right click is just a better way to go.
This also makes you have to go to the top menu more than you should when many of those commands should be in the right click menu.

2> I had to use Steermouse a third party app to make the mouse more responsive- Windows just has a better mouse interface than OS X it is more direct and faster- Mac fan boys have argued with me but I know three people with Macs- all noobs and they are all Windows db guys and developers they totally agree.

3> I like the viewing of LARGER thumbnails in Windows better than on the mac- especially for pictures. While cover flow is cool seeing larger snapshots in Windows is just better.

4> (Just mine I am sure) Safari locks up after it views 5-10 pages and I have reloaded and it just hasn't fixed it- I dont care I use Firefox anyway.

5> On the Mac Pro (don't know about the other ones) I don't have a hard drive light - you simply must have a hard drive light as it is a diagnostic tool if you see the HD spinning all the time for no reason then you know something may be wrong.

6. Gaming- With the extreme horsepower of this Mac pro Call of Duty only plays OK- it should SMOKE that game- much lesser PCs play it much better.

Thats about it- still some different things I am getting used to but the more I use it the more I like it. I think if they fix the right mouse click thing i will love my Mac and have no reason to "switch back"

Just my .02
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

great review....
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MC View Post
3> I like the viewing of LARGER thumbnails in Windows better than on the mac- especially for pictures. While cover flow is cool seeing larger snapshots in Windows is just better.
128x128 isn't big enough for you?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Great review... a comment:

3) You know Command+Q quits apps entirely right? (Or "Appname > Quit" from the menu bar).
QUOTE Thanks
lakewoodlady

lakewoodlady is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook OS Leopard

I like my Macbook so much I blogged it
Burgess Blog

LL
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
not a feature but I got over the fact that MS Clear Type is "clearer" than the algorithm that Macs use for on screen font rendering. MS is crisper and superior but have gotten used the the "softness" of viewing Mac fonts
I find MS fonts pull your eyeballs out of your head. OS X font rendering is based on how the fonts appear in print - which is important for mac designers.

Quote:
Gaming- With the extreme horsepower of this Mac pro Call of Duty only plays OK- it should SMOKE that game- much lesser PCs play it much better.
On Windows or OS X? OS X just isn't geared up for gaming - you'll get much better results in XP.

Quote:
I like the viewing of LARGER thumbnails in Windows better than on the mac- especially for pictures. While cover flow is cool seeing larger snapshots in Windows is just better.
Press command-J to change icon size settings.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

When I switched I was amazed at how quickly iTunes opened up the second time after I THOUGHT I closed it. Now I know you need to quit the app, but like you I never do.

Totally agree with you about the mouse/steermouse issue. When I connected the BT mighty mouse I thought it was bust - just about had to drag 2 mouse mats wide to get from side to side. I had issues with steermouse though and found a better way to do it here. I typed 7.0 and it runs at normal XP/Vista speed.
QUOTE Thanks
chaM

chaM can only hope to improve

If your hatin on that os x then check it out, Dell Laptops, Desktop Computers, Monitors, Printers & PC Accessories.
QUOTE Thanks
swedevb

swedevb is on a distinguished road

Great review, very balanced. Having switched almost twelve months ago I can echo almost everything you say, except for the last as I am not much of a gamer. I would add:

PROs
- No need for virus/spyware checker
- Better software update implementation

CONs
- MBP keyboard is terrible. Too mushy and very often doesn't recognize keystroke.
- I don't understand why there aren't dedicated backspace and delete keys, seems like a no-brainer
- I miss being able to auto-tile two or more apps, or maximize to fill screen

Overall, I am content but a bit disappointed. I had high expectations from all those that insisted "it just works". My experience has been it's just not that different from XP systems. We'll see how W7 works out before I decide on next laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

rsmithgi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedevb View Post
- I don't understand why there aren't dedicated backspace and delete keys, seems like a no-brainer
You might not agree with their logic but I think I know why Mac keyboards are designed the way they are. The location of the keys on all of their keyboards is almost identical for the MB, MB Pro, MB Air, wired keyboard, and wireless keyboard. Including a dedicated del key on the laptop and wireless keyboard would have required moving some other keys around.
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

That was a pretty good review. Also, I might add the built in microphone is really good too.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
Dylanyouto

Dylanyouto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D

Nice review
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Can't agree with the mouse opinion though. The mouse on Windows is twitchy in comparison I find.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
1> I really like the "Right click" centric interface of Windows vs the "drag and drop" centric interface of the Mac. For instance it is SIMPLY EASIER and BETTER to right click on a file and have an option to email that document without having to DRAG it to the dock to email it. On a 30" screen chances are you lose the icon on the way- just put in the right click and be done with it- MS is not all crap and their right click is just a better way to go.
This also makes you have to go to the top menu more than you should when many of those commands should be in the right click menu.
I have an Apple Script that I can send you that will add the ability to e-mail a document right to the right-click menu.

Quote:
5> On the Mac Pro (don't know about the other ones) I don't have a hard drive light - you simply must have a hard drive light as it is a diagnostic tool if you see the HD spinning all the time for no reason then you know something may be wrong.
There are several free Apps that will add the "Drive Light" to your task bar. I use one called "DiscSpy".

QUOTE Thanks
curiouslearn

curiouslearn is on a distinguished road

I agree with the mushy keyboard comment. I tried hard to convince myself that the Keyboard on Mac is better, but it seems that my Dell had a better keyboard. Other than that I love the Mac so far and am happy that I switched. There are a few small things such as

1. No right click to "Copy" a file from finder. You can only copy the name, but have to press Command+C to copy.
If someone knows a solution, please let me know.

2. No default "font color" in Mail.

I think people listing their peeves is a great idea, because in some cases it could be just due to a lack of knowledge, in which case others will point out the solution.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't download to desktop or delete from it | Doc and adobe programs launch question »