New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Program like Crossover Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

9homie

9homie is on a distinguished road

Hello.

I recently was on my friends mac and he was using Crossover but it kept failing and so on. Now, I would like to get a program like Crossover mac but I do not want to get Crossover...
Does anyone know any products like this? I do not mind if it is free or not.

Thank You
9homie

P.s. Crossover mac is where you install a program and you can use it while you are on the mac part of your computer and run windows programs off of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9homie View Post
Hello.

I recently was on my friends mac and he was using Crossover but it kept failing and so on. Now, I would like to get a program like Crossover mac but I do not want to get Crossover...
Does anyone know any products like this? I do not mind if it is free or not.

Thank You
9homie

P.s. Crossover mac is where you install a program and you can use it while you are on the mac part of your computer and run windows programs off of it.
Nope, there isn't one. Well there is WINE, which is what Crossover is based on. It's far from user-friendly though.

Crossover is great for what happens to work with it, but getting everything to work is a pretty big challenge and not likely to ever happen.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Crossover is going to be free for 24 hours starting tonight FYI...

Lower gas prices leads to free software tomorrow - MacUser

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
9homie

Well, I am trying the free version and can you use it without downloading all the stupid things like word and things? I just want to get the msn messenger for windows on it for use with webcam. But it does not seem to want to download without all the things like word at the same time...

Basically I want to install a game called Black and White 2 and also MSN messenger 9 for windows onto the mac part of my mac, will it work?
QUOTE Thanks
9homie

Sorry for the double post, but are there any other programs like it?
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Crossover is going to be free for 24 hours starting tonight FYI...

Lower gas prices leads to free software tomorrow - MacUser
I gots mine!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'm surprised no one else mentioned it, but a great alternative to WINE-based programs like CrossOver is to run Windows in a virtualized environment. Both Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion create what is known as a Virtual Machine, allowing you to run Windows simultaneously with Mac OS X. Both products actually have a "coherence" or "unity" mode, wherein the Windows desktop doesn't even appear anymore, all of your programs are launched by menu and appear as if they're running natively on your Mac desktop (they even minimize to the Dock).

The biggest upside is that compatibility is nearly perfect because the programs are actually running on Windows. The only exception to this is games and programs that are reliant on 3D acceleration (and many will work, albeit slowly).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
trampsky

trampsky is on a distinguished road

You would be wanting parallels desktop.

It's a bit pricy but has amazing results.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There's always VirtualBox from Oracle which is still free and has just recently been updated.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Zombie thread... not sure why 'trampsky' felt the need to dig this one up.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Considering buying a Mac, help needed. | PC to MAC file/program transfer? »